SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

The noise is deafning.

gandle
16 years ago

I suppose you could call it a cacophony, the Canada and snow geese are flying between the river and the lake just north of us and the sky is practically dark with them. The game dept. says there are hundreds of blue geese on the river and lake now but I apparently can't tell them from the Canada.

When we get a break in the incessant honking of the geese if you listen carefully you can hear the eerie call of the vanguard of the sandhill cranes. They are so high that they are hard to find and they are also stupid for coming back this early. While there is open water at the river I can't think there would be much food available there. The cranes gleam corn from the harvested fields and the snow is melting from them so perhaps they can find lunch there.

We always have had a year round population of ducks and geese at our lake on the edge of town, domestic breeds that someone left there years ago and they have multiplied. This year there aren't any left. The coyotes have discovered them and while the lake was frozen solid they managed to make off with the last of the locals. The visiting geese seem to be more wary and apparently haven't been decimated by the coyotes.

The snow has melted off the east end of the vegetable garden and the parsnip tops are visible but it would take dynamite to get them out of the ground. Hard to beat a newly dug spring parsnip, so sweet after wintering. We even have a recipe for a cake made out of freshly dug parsnips. Uses very little sugar getting most of its sweetness from the parsnips. Amusing, people who say they don't like parsnips seem to love the cake and won't believd you when they find out it was made from grated parsnips among other ingredients.

Maybe with all the bird activity and the snow melting from part of the garden, spring will really get here someday. Am getting very tired of winter, it has outlived it's welcome. Cather wrote something about winter hanging on too long and looking shabby, well, that fits here.

Comments (6)

• mwoods
    16 years ago

I've been doing a lot of "research" on the sandhills because of a discussion group I'm leading this week,and find them so fascinating. I've found several sites with sound wavs and good grief,when you hear hundreds upon hundreds of them at once,it really is unreal. We have gaggles of Canada geese going by every day.regardless of the season. They are just flying back and forth to local ponds,don't really migrate like they used to,and sometimes get so close you can hear their wings flap. I love them.Hang in there George...spring will happen.

• Josh
    16 years ago

There you are! I was just wondering if you were going to tell us about the earthquake or did you even sense it under all that snowcover? How far were you from the epicenter? josh

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Was there an earthquake in Nebraska? I missed that one.

• Josh
    16 years ago

Oops, sorry...the post office should have designated Nevada as NV and Nebraska as NB for folks like me. NE just threw me off this morning...josh

• petaloid
    16 years ago

"Winter lies too long in country towns, hangs on until it is stale and shabby, old and sullen." -- Willa Cather

• jazmynsmom
    16 years ago

and unsolicited, but just for good measure:

"One swallow does not make a summer, but one skein of geese, cleaving the murk of March thaw, is the Spring."
    Aldo Leopold

I adore parsnips... especially roasted. How could anybody not?

Sponsored
More Discussions