SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marylandmojo

Worms 'doing-it' in your yard and garden--again

marylandmojo
12 years ago

I say, "again", because I made a similar post about 5 years ago on this forum, if memory serves, and "again", because this is an annual occurrence.

For those organic growers who wish to see how many worms their yard and garden contains (from not killing them all with pesticides and herbicides), now is the time to do it.

The warm weather in our mid-Atlantic area has brought them up from the depths where they retreated from the cold, and they are now mating with a vengeance throughout the yard and garden. (It's a regular worm-orgy in our own back yards.)

Generally, it's more productive to try and obtain a worm-count after a rain, but I notice that there's enough moisture in the ground where I live, and they've begun their mating process regardless of a recent rain.

On warm evenings right after dark at this time of year, this annual process begins, and one has only to take a flashlight and gently (so as not to squash them as you go) tread about and see if you can count the number of worms contained in a square foot of yard.

Gently, also, because they "feel" your tread on the soil, and will slip back into their holes in the soil if alerted, and screw up your count.

I find about 10 to a square foot, so about 40,000 square feet in my acre yard gives me 400,000 worms working for me to aerate the soil and provide castings to increase soil fertility.

Of course I'll have to subtract a bit because of the Robins that just came back from their Winter migration, and are hell-bent on eating as many as they can consume (and will later feed their babies).

Comments (18)