SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralleia

Harvesting kale in the dead of winter

12 years ago

Quick question about harvesting kale and how much/little to take for the health of one's plants...

These are Russian kale, grown in an organically-managed hoophouse. I've always had angst about how much of the leaves that I can take off a plant in the depths of winter. Today I have a hankerin' to make some potato-kale soup for dinner.

How much and what size leaves can I safely harvest from these plants?

Last night our low was 0F, the hoophouse dropped to 8F. Tonight the low is forecast between -4F and -8F. After that, the weather should get progressively better. I think this will be the worst of it for the remainder of this winter.

There are a variety of size plants in there since I allowed one large plant from last year to go to seed, resulting in seedlings that germinated at different times.

Small & young: {{gwi:135568}}

Medium: {{gwi:135576}}

Planted early last spring, competed with tomato plants all summer and so big that it's flopped over and sprouting leaves from the stem: {{gwi:135580}}

What range of leaves does one harvest, and how will it affect the plant in the cold weather? Are the big, reddened leaves too old to harvest?

Comments (6)