SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
endorphinjunkie

Firday's Musin'

endorphinjunkie
16 years ago

What a beautiful day it is today, especially after the weather we had yesterday. Temp is mid fourties with a crystal blue sky lightly highlighted by high, wispy cirrus clouds. The air is dry making it easy to breathe. Just an all around intoxicating day. Bright sunshine everywhere.

After all the wind yesterday and watching the trees bend 45 degrees this way then 45 degrees the other way there is relatively little to clean up. Just picking up a few limbs and searching for the garbage cans.

I bought a new light weight hikers stove to add to my camping gear. This little thing is an alcohol burner and is made of titanium. It says to use methanol, but I think I will use ethanol instead. It's a bit more expensive, but the kind of ethanol I'll be using can do triple duty. It can be used as stove fuel, an antiseptic, and a libation. One can buy pure, undiluted ethanol at any liquor store. It sold there as PGA. It's 190 proof. Next best thing to rocket fuel. Pricey, again, but it's the choice of the serious light weight expeditioner.....

A new store has opened up in the local strip mall where the only grocery store in town is. It's an Army/Navy store, selling used military equipment and clothes. Will drop by today to see what they have that I think I might can use.

Will stop by the grocery store too, to see if I can find inspiration on something to cook.

Tempted to take a nap, didn't get much rest last night. Worked half a day today and have the afternoon and evening off. This week has been hectic with the start of the semester Monday and the weather yesterday. Time to slow down a bit and ease into the weekend.

Oh, yeah, we had three inches of rain dumped on us yesterday. We are now only yellow colored on the drought map....

What's a good drink made with PGA? No Purple Passions, please, I still remember those from my college days.

Elia

Comments (9)

• jazmynsmom
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Dorph, what about Limoncello? I'll post the recipe I used at the bottom of my post. I copied and pasted it from a GP discussion about a year and a half ago (can't remember who posted it, but I think it might have been LindaC) I've experimented with regular and crema versions of lemon, lime and orange. Yum. Good stuff.

Homemade Limoncello Recipe
    Ingredients list:
    One Bottle (750 ml) Everclear (95% alcohol 190 Proof)
    ÂOne Bottle (750 ml) good but not necessarily premium vodka (40% alcohol 80 Proof) I use either the 80 proof or 100 proof, Smirnoff Blue label
    Â15-20 lemons (without scars or flaws in the skin if possible, & NO pesticides)
    Âabout 3 cups filtered tap water or distilled water (not mineral water)
    Â4 cups pure cane white sugar

SUPPLIES:
    Âvery clean and dry gallon glass jar
    Âcone shaped coffee filters. (#4 size)
    ÂLarge glass pitchers.
    ÂOne cup sized measuring cups
    Âladle.
    Âfunnels (to fit the #4 coffee filter,)
    Âsmaller bottles for bottling into.

Step One Day 1:
    Pour the bottle of Everclear and the bottle of vodka into the gallon jar.
    ÂWash off & dry lemons.
    Use a potato peeler to peel just the yellow part of the skin off the lemons. Make sure you have NO white pith on the back of the peels, because this causes bitterness in the finished liqueur. Try to make the peel pieces as large as possible, because this will make the straining process easier.
    ÂPut the lemon peels in the gallon jar and stir gently.
    ÂCover tightly and put away in a cool (not cold) dark place for alcohol to extract oils from peels, creating an infusion.
    ÂOccasionally stir or swirl to mix up the oils.
    ÂLet it set for at least 15 days, preferably 40 days.

Step Two
    ÂDissolve sugar in water and bring to boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes.
    Â*If you want to make the Crema version use the milk, water, sugar mixture below instead of the water sugar mixture above. Or you can do a recipe of each. To have both kinds. (You may end up with leftover syrups.)
    ÂSet syrup aside to cool. (Must be cool to cold before adding to infusion.)
    ÂUse a slotted spoon to scoop lemon peels from the infusion and discard.
    Âstrain the infusion thru the filters to make sure all the peel is removed
    ÂMeasure and add the syrup, (either crema or clear) to the alcohol
    ÂTHE PROPORTIONS ARE 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 OF SYRUP TO 1 OF ALCOHOL INFUSION. Or to taste, IF IT IS TOO STRONG IT COULD CURDLE. Why this varies is if you cannot find the 100proof vodka you could use regular, it will not be as strong, so you will use less syrup/crema.
    ÂIf it does curdle add more syrup until the curdles dissolve.
    ÂStrain the mixture again through filters into large pitcher. (This is a messy process. If it is the cream syrup I filter it at least twice. The filters will clog quickly and you will use many of them.) In this step I may add a drop or 2 of yellow or orange food color & sometimes a drop or 2 of CLEAR vanilla extract.
    ÂYou should taste it to see the strength, and adjust it if necessary, but watch out cause it will getcha!! :)
    Â***it does mellow out as it sets.
    ÂReturn to cool dry place for anywhere from 5-40 days to begin mellowing process that combines alcohol infusion with syrup to create Limoncello. It needs this setting time.
    ÂThen Drink (it should always be served very cold) & enjoy!!!
    Crema di Limoncello
    This is a Cream variation on the standard Limoncello,
    Âa quart of milk, Best to not use whole milk. Use 2% Do not use low or fat free
    Âa pound of pure cane sugar,
    Âa pint of distilled or filtered water:
    Combine the water, milk, and sugar and bring it to a boil 4-5 times, removing it from the burner & stir it down each time it boils up. ( do not let it scorch) This keeps it from curdling subsequently.
    Once the milk has boiled up for the last time, remove it from the fire and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in the alcohol, at which point the mixture should become thick and creamy. Then start pouring it through a coffee filters in the funnels to filter out any curds or film, that may have formed. Let it sit in the fridge or in a cool dark place for 30 days, and it's ready to serve. Best if kept in the refrigerator. When making the crema version after mixing the cooled milk mixture with the alcohol, I strain it 2 more times, or you may get a cream layer at the top of the bottle. Also I use a drop or 2 of yellow food coloring to brighten up the color, just like the regular version.
    You can also use oranges in the same way, then use a drop or so of orange food color. It will taste like a frozen orange crème-cicle.
    ***This liqueur is homemade for private use only. Not intended to be sold or served commercially***

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

You survived! Yea! I can't believe you didn't drink Kool-aid with your PGA. What kinda school did you attend (wink, wink ;)? Libations? I'd make a Long Island iced tea, Roadhouse style, just so I wouldn't have to wait for several days:

Texas Roadhouse Tea
    2 oz. PGA
    2 oz. Rum
    2 oz. Triple Sec
    2 oz. Gin
    2 oz. Sweet & Sour mix
    splash of coke-cola for color

mix all ingredients, serve with ice in a 32 oz. mason jar

Food? I'm having white beans simmered with ham bone and a hunk of cornbread in it, just as soon as I can get it made.

• calliope
    16 years ago

I used to haunt our Army/Navy store until it closed after being a town landmark. Some of my camping gear came from there, but I'll tell ya, you wouldn't want to trek very far backpacking the gear I got. I think the bag is arctic weight, lol.

I'm glad you're getting the rains, you needed it didn't you? We have been getting rains non-stop and I'm thankful. Had a hellion of a storm a couple days ago, and had an honest to goodness thunderstorm last night. Love a good thunderstorm, and they're especially a treat in winter, as opposed to snow.

PGA huh? Haven't had that since frat party days. The gang never got as refined as purple passion. They put garbage cans in the middle of the room and whatever bottle anybody showed up with just got dumped into it. Sort of the ever evolving cauldron.

I had the foresight to throw on a couple small racks of beef back ribs to a crock pot this a.m. and have been adding veggies to it as the day wears on and it's starting to smell pretty good by now. It's almost too late to start bread to go with, but I might and just eat a little later.

Can't believe the weekend is upon us again. Muse on.

• tibs
    16 years ago

Hairy Buffalo is what I remember calling the "dump everything into the garbage can" beverage.

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

LOL! That's what we used to call "Spodey-Odey." Thqnk God we were young & strong. I know I couldn't deal with that stuff now at my age.

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Stayed out and watched the sunset this evening. Nice colors, lithium-ish in intensity. The finger nail moon followed the sun down, reflecting earth shine as it went. Rising in the east Orion and Taurus and other such celestial sights are bright and easy to see. Should get down near freezing.

Tomorrow's forecast is 60's and sunshine. I will get on the river in one of my kayaks at peak temperature. Methinks a shorty wetsuit will suffice. The water will be cold.

Iffin' and when I should use PGA as a drink I will measure the dose with an eyedropper. We called the garbage can concoction Hunch Punch. It packed a punch hard enough to loose your lunch....

That Texas Tea recipe is deadly. But probably oh so delicious...

Been listening to Eric Johnson this evening, just to pass the time. That, and watching Survivorman with the sound turned down.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

I'll take one of each.
    I'd have to get better to die anyway.

I've been in bed all day if you don't count the times I got up to fix Neil or Sassi something to eat.
    We've gone through all the Kleenex and I have a roll of toilet paper on my bedside. (whatever works to catch the
    stuff dripping from my nose).

The food is running low and tonight I threw some frozen
    hashbrown potatoes with pepper and onions in a skillet and
    scrambled some eggs with them and that was it.

Put me out of my misery please.

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear that Jan. Dad's got it now. The VA sent lots of meds for him. I don't seem to get it anymore. Seems that the cocktail of herbs and vitamins that I take do a good job of preventing that mess. Let's see, zinc, garlic, echinacea, vitamins C and E, and plenty of fluids. I avoid caffeine and despite what I insinuate, my alcohol consumption is that of a European, not an American. I refuse to have hangovers anymore. Have done so for a long time.

This is just a suggestion, but making a "tea" with a one clove of garlic with knock the snot out of the nasal drainage. Be sure to add sugar or honey to ease the taste. It's an old remedy, one used long before modern medicine.

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Michael, we take the vitimins every day. The zinc to.
    Haven't done the garlic tea yet. Plenty of fluids yes,
    that to.
    This has been a kick a$$ kind of bug.
    I can usually knock it down and beat it in the ground
    and keep on going but this nasty thing put me in the bed.

It's better today and I think a good hot shower will
    do wonders. I still feel bad but not like the past 2 days,
    wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions