SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

weekend journal 23-24 January 2010

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

The good weather bug must've kicked my spring fever into moving, a slow roll, but moving. I cleaned up and cleaned out. Finagled enough money for all new tires and working on the Miata's exhaust. After that is done, I won't need anything for a long long time. I hope. The new tires are wider and make the car a more comfortable ride. Ah. I only got one of the two major places fixed on the exhaust. Next week, Ali is planning to dismantle the manifold and get into the last of the problem. It's likely the whole rusty 20+ year shebang will need replacing, but I'm ready for it. I'd spent a couple of hours waiting on the tires to get removed, replaced and aligned, so I didn't feel I could spend the remainder of the day only devoted to cars, so I told Ali I'd see him next Saturday and headed home to cook and clean. I'm not really in the mood to do the last odds and ends of the house remodel (slight wood working and a tiny bit of painting). Cleaned the kitchen, cooked a pie, decided which recipe I'd try this Wednesday and, instead, picked three. I had the chicken a l'orange last night, pretty good, but needs tweaking and tomorrow night I'll do the O'Charley's Pecan Chicken Tender salad copycat. Wednesday night is something totally foreign to me, GardenWeb's very own Sol's, yellow corn grit souffles. I've neve made a souffle, but it's related to meringue and I do that well, so it should be ok. Just a bit out of the comfort zone. After those were done, I sat down to rest a bit and decided I had an itch to start two very big projects, clean my jewelry and my closet. The jewelry one is one that I do once a year. It took me 2 1/2 hours to sort, clean, dry and put back 2/3 of the armoire. Nice and shiny now. Ah. New treasures. The closet I left until Sunday. I'd made lunches for next week (chicken salad and egg salad), so I just grabbed a container of that and after eating it I went to bed.

Sunday I got up late, so no church. Finished up the laundry and put it all away. Then I took it all out. One item at a time, I put them in two piles, "needs mending" or "needs ironing", or, they were just fine and went back into the clost. I came to grips with the fact I'll never wear the destroyed pink silk dress (really sad!) or the pink plaid blouse ever again, and they got tossed. I finally decided to donate the cute city shorts my tall mother gave me even though they're really nice and totally never worn. They hit me in all the wrong places. They make my not short legs look short. They make my huge hips look huger. Not right, and nothing would make them look right. I tried on all the shoes mom has given me and put all the summer shoes under the bed in the cozy that Ed and Cori gave me for Christmas. Weary from the clothes chaos, I finished up the armoire. As I went into the back of the bedroom to put something in the velvet jewelry box, I looked in it to find... more unplaced jewelry. I found the earrings my youngest brother sent me from the Philippines before he got here, the diamond drops I'd tucked away, and some cute little unmatched earrings. I didn't want to give up my single earrings and realized I could add them as dangly pendants on some of my necklaces. I also superglued together a couple of broken earrings. Then I fixed the broken chain pieces. Everything got repaired or thrown out. I sat down with the pile of needs to be repaired clothes and watched The Mummy Returns (the second of the trilogy?). Once it was done, I cleaned off the shoes that have now gathered dust. If you don't know it, remodeling makes a mess in places you never thought it could, kinda like going to the beach and having to empty your clothes when you get back inside. As I ironed the last pile of the last mess, LF came in. The Mummy was on? out of sequence?, but it was on. For dinner, I had chicken a l'orange with steamed rice topped with almonds and some broccoli. He had chicken tenders. Again. He's gonna turn into a chicken. Along with carrots and pineapple. He finished with a mini fudge pie I'd made in his absence.

We ended the night/weekend watching Worst Cooks in America. One girl, Jenny, reminded me of me. She completely burst into flames, albeit with good reason, unnecessarily. Even with the worst of the worst catastrophes, she ended up not getting sent home. Stayed by the skin of her teeth, but stayed nonetheless. What is that saying I saw recently, "you can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying over the future". I try not to worry, but when it gets really bad, I admit it, some things still get me flustered. Most stuff is becoming water off a duck's back, but I am not there yet. It is however, good to have it all cleaned and put away, I was beginning to feel my own life slowly crumbling. Now it's back in place. OCD, my best friend :)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions