SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Leave it to the Mexicans.

orchidnick
13 years ago

The other day I needed a new battery for my Dodge Caravan. Off to Auto Zone I go where I usually buy my car stuff. The guy quoted me $75 for their cheapest one, then there were much more expensive models for the better people.

I thought that was way too much, if I want to pay $75 or up I can go anywhere, I expected a bargain from the Auto Zone which this certainly was not. Then he charged me $1.28 for the Snickers bar (regular size) I was munching on to completely make my day. I left fuming and ran into a Mexican outside who was cussing out his car for what ever reason. I know this guy. I told him about the battery and then asked him:

"Where do Mexicans go when they need a battery?" He laughed and told me "Ramirez Electrical", about 4 blocks from where we were. I went over there and told the guy behind the much used counter top I needed a battery. "$20" he said without skipping a beat. "You don't even know what car I'm driving or what level quality I want", I said. "I saw the car you were driving and we have only one level of quality" was his retort as he left the room, came back with a battery and slammed it on the counter top. It looked used. Here is the deal:

They rebuild batteries and sell them for $20, all sizes, 1 year warranty. I asked him how long it realistically would last, his response: "2 to 3 years, then you give me another $20 and get a new one." I had to think about this for a minute and it made sense, gave him a 20 dollar bill and he put the battery in my car in about 3 minutes, making off with my old one which they will rebuild.

Then he handed me a business card on which he wrote the date. "That's your warranty" he said, "bring the card back if you have a problem within a year, I'll give you another battery. Adios!"

I had to laugh to myself on the way out the door, the simplicity of it is beautiful. No paperwork, no sales tax, no sales pitch, no choices, just fast, straight forward work which solves the immediate problem inexpensively and I will lay odds that his battery will last a while. By the way, there was no computer or cash register in his office, the money went straight into his pocket. I wish there were more people like that, this experience took me back to a simpler place in time.

Nick

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!