SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Eating well

xmpraedicta
16 years ago

I was just reading all these posts by all of you on cooking and food and decided to make this topic.

I just took a nutrition study (for extra cash) and part of the study required that I do a survey of my diet for the past month (rough estimates of the portions of certain food groups etc...). Needless to say I was shocked at the terrible way I've been eating, and have since decided to change my food habits.

As a single guy cooking for myself, I'm not really sure how to go about doing this - so I made a list of requirements for my food plans:

1) Contains vegetables/is healthy - this is the main part of the diet that is lacking

2) Storable - Ideally I would be able to bring left-overs to work during the day in some sort of Tupperware.

3) Simple - while I'd love to have a William and Sonoma kitchen filled with a thousand intricate kitchen devices, the reality is my options and utensils are quite limited - basic saucepan, frying pan, wok. Plus, I don't have time for hours and hours just to produce a little piece of biscotti (well maybe on weekends :)) so something quick would be nice!

4) Not too many left-over ingredients - this is one of the biggest problems, although I guess it's more of a personal problem rather than the actual recipe/cooking. I buy an onion and sometimes I only use half of it, and then I forget about the other half and it goes bad....my potatoes grow eyes, and my garlic sprouts. I over-buy and then never use up all of the goods, *especially* when it comes to vegetables. Regardless, I'm the only one using the ingredients so it's difficult to get portions right.

5) Tastes good

Do any of you have quick and easy (and healthy) recipes that you like? I'm in grad school now so I really do have enough time to cook - it's just a matter of getting into the habit. Please share some ideas - I'd love to hear what you do for lunch besides the typical PBJ sandwhich; I like cooking and trying new things too!

-Calvin

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH