SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Help with hearing aid.

orchidnick
13 years ago

From age 16 to 24 I spent my summers bouncing around earth moving equipment. Lots of fun for a teenager to push a giant bulldozer around but there was no regard to safety in those days, no ear protection. As a result I've had a hearing loss ever since then.

Now, at age 70, it has become a nuisance, not a disability but a nuisance. My useless supplemental medicare plan did an audio-gram which showed 50% hearing loss in the good ear, worse in the other, I qualify for a hearing aid. No kidding, tell me something I don't know! They will pay $400 towards such a device as long as it originates from the outfit that did the audio.

They have 2 models, the deluxe which runs $2,200 for EACH ear and the regular one which is ONLY $1,900. For both ears this would cost me at least $3,400. No way!!!! I tried gaming the system but ran up against a wall this time. California makes it illegal to sell hearing aids unless ordered by an audiologist. So we have a closed room monopoly and it's time to go to Mexico or Arizona whichever comes first. The Mexican swap meet won't help this time.

On eBay they offer devices from $19 per ear to $1,200, $300 gets you a pretty decent sounding (Ehh?) device. I also know some people in Guadalajara, could send them a copy of my audio-gram and see what they come up with.

Has anybody successfully bypassed the multi thousand dollar devices and what was your experience? Anyone know of a good outfit in Mexico?

Nick

Comments (13)