SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenhoney_gw

drainage in orchard..need advice asap!!

goldenhoney
13 years ago

Hello All! I'm relatively unexperienced gardener (I'm 22!) in charge of planning and planting a mixed fruit orchard in North Alabama. The plot of land the orchard is in is 300 feet long and 45 feet wide. I spent the first few months of this project assessing and amending the soil by adding mulch, compost and straw and finally about 10 loads of decent topsoil. The soil now is still predominantly made of clay despite all the additions.

I've begun planting trees and after a week or so we had several days of rain nonstop. The low spots in the orchard were mud piles as I haven't put the ground cover in yet (I was planning on putting red clover.)

Now I'm deciding whether to put in a French drain system or add more mulch/topsoil to level out the low spots. The higher points of the bed were not nearly as muddy and wet as the low spots. I suspect that establishing clover will help with drainage too.

What do y'all think? Go ahead with a French drain or hope for the best with more soil? I'd appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks so much!

Golden

Comments (7)