SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnieappleseed

apple scab / bags / thinking out loud

donnieappleseed
13 years ago

I won't argue with someone who says I should research this more before I post, but I thought it would be fun to post my latest "nutty" idea and see if I can be better directed in my research. This is the latest idea to excite me to want to get an answer for:

I would like to see foot sox or ziploc bags that also keep apple scab from the fruit in wet climates such as where I live....I know some believe the ziploc bags work naturally on that already, but that hasn't been my observation....I wonder if something could help out....specifically could I soak the foot sox in a fungicide or put a little fungicide in the bag (ziploc or #2 bleached paper bag) that would greatly inhibit the apple scab in late Spring when one applies these protective devices.

I know the spores have already made their entries to the tree by the time in late May or early June when I would be putting the footies or bags on......but I also know that while some fungicides are preventatives there are others that have a limited window of opportunity in which they work against the fungus that is already present.

Specifically, I would like to put a substance on these footies or baggies that I would not be afraid to handle directly with my hands, but which would still inhibit the scab on the developing apple inside the bag.

Sulfur? Yucca plants? Whatever.....I am open to what might work and to experiment on that this next summer.

Sure....sure....the best thing would be to have planted a Liberty, Akane, or Tydeman's Red......but sometimes we have to work with what is already there.

Comments (2)