SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honey58_gw

Craftsman LT1000 won't start

honey58
15 years ago

Hi Everybody, I am new to post here but have been lurking and learning. I have a LT1000 Model 917.271842 with a 21.0hp twin B&S I/C engine model#461707. My problem is the mower will not start. It makes no noise at all, nothing, no clicking just dead. I load tested my battery and it reads fine. I fully charged it also. For the past year or so it starts hard,makes a couple turn of the starter then stops and then catches and finally starts. Yesterday after cutting all day I shut it of to blow the dust off and it would not start again. I have taken apart and cleaned all connections. I have 12+ volts to one of the red wires and the black wires on the solenoid, not to the other red or the white wires at anytime while turning key. I used a new car battery and jumped direct from the possitive to the starter and it turns over but still its kind of hard (turns then stops, turns and stops) I removed the 2 spark plugs and the starter turns over easier (pretty much like normal). I then jumped with a screw driver across the 2 large bolts on the solenoid and it turns over also. I then put the spark plugs back in and jumped the starter again and it turned hard again. Do I have 2 problems? It seemd like all the safty switchs are working but how can I check? The solenoid? Do the valves need adjustment on this engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (6)