SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arnswine

LB S21ZST not running - close

arnswine
17 years ago

I have a LB S21ZST 21" cut self propelled 4 HP commerical engined mower that's almost there....(marked model 680544 - I think from 1992)

It has the walbro(?) metal carb on it and just a choke. Previous yahoo (I got it for $5 at a garage sale and it has good compression) had removed the air cleaner cover and element. I have an element, but don't have the cover yet. (anyone got one? ;) )

I have:

1. replaced the CDI unit because I thought it had no spark

2. cleaned the dirty carb and even ran a small diameter copper wire up through the jet just to make sure it's clean. Governer flapper is wide open at 0 RPM. Throttle cable will actuate choke at choke setting.

3. replaced the plug

4. engine brake/cut off cable seems to work correctly.

If i give it a snort of ether it runs a bit (sometimes - a second or two) and quits - so you'd think it was fuel, but I know that fuel flows to the carb and the carb bowl is full of fuel when I remove it. It has a plastic float so there is no adjustment - float doesn't seem to fill up with fuel or anything like that. Nothing leaks out the bowl. Flap valves are all free and eash - carb is now real clean.

Can you all tell me the initial needle valve (or idle air screw) setting?

It has new fuel and the tank holds a lot of fuel (and is using offical lawnboy oil in the premix). Using regular gas.

It should start right up. It does pop a bit, but that's it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, O River of Knowledge! I know its a good mower just wanting to wake up. Thanks.

Comments (3)