SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chappy_28

Lawn mower won't start

chappy_28
16 years ago

Can any of you lawn mower guru's shead any light on my problem? I was cutting the grass today and my riding lawn mower (Murray)quit running. It's like I just turned the key off, it didn't sputter like it was running out of gas. When I pulled the hood up on it I could hear a humming noise(almost like a fan, which I assume it doesn't have) coming from the engine area. After about a minute it slowly stopped. I tried to jump it off after letting it sit for a while and when i hook up the cables it sparks and the motor tries to turn over. I went and bought a new battery but I can't get it hooked up. When I try to hook the cables to the terminals it sparks. If I unhook the cable from the starter that goes to the solenoid, I can hook up the battery, but then I can't hook that cable back up because it tries to fry me. I thought maybe the ignition swith was stuck in the on position but I unplugged it completley and got the same electrifing results. Thanks for any help you can provide this newbie!

Comments (6)