SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_p_pa

Gotta Love the Lawnboy !!!

tom_p_pa
18 years ago

I would only attempt the bi-annual mowing of the "cliff" in my rear yard. Gotta love the lawnboy..so light, so powerful. You couldn't do this with Easy Stride by the way!!

{{gwi:137414}}
{{gwi:137415}}
{{gwi:137416}}

Comments (45)

• fordtech
    18 years ago

You couldnt do it with your commercial either..... you might put a scratch on it... LOL :-)

• matt_r
    18 years ago

LOL...that right..the poor old 10323 gets all the abuse..and the aluminum decks gets spoiled in the garage. For all the bashing the 10323 gets, you were quick to pull it out on that hill.

I think you answered your question on whether or not to keep the 10323.

For me, the 10323 has a special purpose and have abilities the others do not have, despite their "slow" variable speed and "flexy" decks.

They are great for the hills as you show because they push/pull very easily and are feather light...much so more than the 10550. The clutches release effortless when you release the bail, making pulling back easy.

They are a SWEET mower indeed.

• Related Discussions

Project 22261

Q

Comments (46)
    Looking Good, Looking Good Two Cycle Nut. Now as promised, I will show you my 22261 and as a bonus my 22260. I am not a Electro-techno person, so how do I post pics on this forum?? Good day.
    ...See More

Thank goodness my Craftsman blew up! (x300)

Q

Comments (20)
    Congratulations on the new X300. As closely as I can tell,you can get a bad machine from any brand...lawn tractor,car or ice cream maker. ANY manufactured product,whether man or machine assembled,could die out of the box,or run flawlessly for years. I,too,took delivery of an X300 this morning. I studied and conversed for weeks,trying to decide what to do. My decision was made because the JD sales guy was super,and I got one year same as cash from JD. ONLY time will tell if it was a good buy. On my street,there are 5 JD's,2 Craftsman,1 Cadet,1 Husky:ALL are working well. Please don't take this green vs orange vs red too seriously. For goodness sake,it's a lawnmower. Take care of it and it should be fine. Thanks to all of you,most of your posts were helpful,and I appreciate your thoughts.
    ...See More

Gotta love fall sales!

Q

Comments (3)
    Oh, I came with really nice-looking shrubs at 50% off too - 3 "Munchkin" oakleaf hydrangeas and a mountain laurel, and I picked up some perennials at 20% off. The perennials are now 50% at a local nursery, and they've got a lot of nice stuff left, I may go tomorrow when I'm out and about and see what I can round up. The 20% wasn't a great deal, but there were a few things I wanted specifically for the bed I'm working on in the back, although the pots of bergenia I bought were only $4.99 at full price and were really nice-sized for the money, so after 20% discount I only paid a whopping $3.99 per plant - so I still scored there, and the other stuff wasn't terribly pricey to begin so I figured why wait (plus, I want to get the chore of getting this bed done for the season out of my hair).
    ...See More

Gotta love it....

Q

Comments (10)
    I need to get to Lowe's and browse their house plants. I've found some goodies there over the years. Hoping to find one of those hanging baskets of lacunosa again. My local Wal-Mart had them only once in the 10 years (give or take) it's been here. Lowe's is about 40 minutes away in the western, eastern, and northern directions (as well are Home Depot, and other Wal-Marts). Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More
  • 1saxman
    18 years ago

Nice pics. Sure would be cool to have a wav file to go with it of the Duraforce hunkering down. I assume you're discharging?

• snuffyinatl
    18 years ago

Yeah, my steel deck 10313 catches all the rough jobs! My 10550 is the "turf queen"...only use it for my own lawn.

• tarheelman
    18 years ago

You gotta love those steel deck staggered wheel L-Bs. As Matt pointed out, they're so light that they're perfect for this kind of work---especially with the 2-cycle.

This is the kind of thing that Lawn-Boy is (well, was) all about. You could never do this with a 4-cycle mower.

• pete_p_ny
    18 years ago

This cracks me up. I recall my summertime job working at the voc tech school in town mowing lawns, waxing floors, burning off linoleum tiles off the floor with hand propane torches (yuk..I must have taken 10 years off my life breathing all that burnt rubber and junk). We used to mow overgrown hills like yours with commercial push LB's. Oh boy, did we abuse them. We hated them, but could not destroy them. We were hoping if they burned out, they would be replaced by self propelled models. No such luck, I was there for 4 summers, and the same bloody things were always there waiting for me. We abused them so bad, the things were screaming hot. And when they stalled when purposely pushed into ridiculous levels of growth at high speeds, they were a beast to restart. You could feel the heat radiating off the engines when you bent over the shroud to restart.

Now I love the darn things. Strange..not really...older definitely equals wiser.

• blaise70
    18 years ago

Tom,

Like Saxman, I assume you're discharging? Does the DF bog down if you mulch a "jungle" like that?

• jimbosc
    18 years ago

I am using my 10304 to mow an empty lot that is a mixture of weeds and grass (mostly weeds). It is pretty flat with a few weirds dips/washouts - but the old 'V' does a great job cutting that stuff down especially in side discharge mode. Really is perfect set-up for that type of use.

Jim

• tom_p_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I used the side discharge mode and it never bogged down or stalled once. It hummed right along.

On the very high spots, I tilted the mower up in the front to give an initial cut to "knock" it down, then went over a second pass to clean it up. Also cut it at 3" to avoid all the sticks and rocks inbedded underneath the weeds.

I really love the fact these mowers convert to a "true" side discharging mower.

• 1saxman
    18 years ago

They discovered many years ago that the best discharging is 'tangential', or 90 degrees (more or less) from a radian, and on the front of the mower (the first-cut grass is immediately thrown out) so they moved the right front wheel out of the way of the discharge chute. This arrangement takes full advantage of the velocity imparted to the clippings. No side or rear-discharge mower can equal the efficiency of the offset-wheel deck for discharging.
    Blaise70; I use my old 10201 pusher with 'V' engine for the tough jobs, and in mulch mode. In the fall, I'll bag up my leaves and dump them in various places where I want leaf mulch. Then the 10201 gets the job of grinding the leaf piles into dust, which rapidly decomposes into rich humus. At 4.5 HP and still swinging the same 21" blade and mulch fan, it'll bog some but it's not a problem. I can't do that with the 10550 or Honda because the debris will jam up the wheel gears whether you're using the drive or not. I first got the 10201 for the cut slope at the front of my lot (and to be my main mower), which was overgrown with every manner of grass and weed imaginable, and on about a 40 degree angle. I also did this in mulch mode with no bogging. Previously, I had used a string trimmer on it. Today that hillside is tamed - planted in crape myrtles and mulched, but 10 years ago it was wild and wooly, looking about like Tom's.

• blaise70
    18 years ago

Jimbo and Saxman,

The more familiar I become with the 'V', the more I like it despite its shortcomings. Bought a 10-year-old one from Tarheelman that came off a 10201, I believe. He said it ran but vibrated a lot because of a worn lower bearing (hmm, seems like I've heard this before). I initially was only interested in the carb and other stuff attached to it. But it had pretty good compression so I thought I'd perform some engine surgery for the first time. Replaced the bearing, mounted it on my Toro and installed a new gator blade. Mowed with it last Saturday - it runs smoothly and seems to have as much power as the Toro 'V' it replaced. Remains to be seen how much longer it lasts.

Been thinking of getting a L-B deck but the fact that you can't trim close to objects on the right side might be a nuisance. But I guess a string trimmer can take care of that problem.

• MoTim
    18 years ago

I've got a 10201 that a friend gave me (along with a quite dead 6431) that needed a bit of cleaning up and runs fine now. I have to say that I'm not all that happy with it. It mulches OK but the cut isn't so hot. Lots of uncut standing blades of grass. The blade is sharp; it's the one that came on it along with the mulching fan. It's a good machine for along the edges of the yard and down in the ditch. It's light, has plenty of power, and the price was right! Still wouldn't be my first choice, though. It has a small tank, or it uses a lot of fuel!

I haven't tried side discharging. Haven't tried bagging, either; the pair came with a bag, but it appears to be more for the 6431, though, because the 6431 has a bracket at the handle base that the support bar rests in that's missing from the 10201. It'll fit in the hole on the 10201, but it just sort of flops around and doesn't hold the bag up and out properly.

So, what am I missing? Lawn Boy owners generally rave about 'em so I'm surprised to find that I'm not all that thrilled with this one.

A short block for the 6431 costs about $230; a piston/con-rod set costs a tad more than $100. Not sure if I want to spend money on it at this point. If I tear it all down, I'll want to put in new seals and mains and repaint the deck so it'll cost that much more.

• blaise70
    18 years ago

MoTim,

Keep your eye out for a good used 'F' engine on Ebay. Would be a shame to not put that mower back into service, especially since it has a cast deck.

• bogman
    18 years ago

Add me to the list of 10323 fans. I purchased mine in Feb 2004 before LB 2- cycles went away. It has performed flawlessly. I gave it the Saxman modification to the governor which, on mine, removed virtually all of the surging, installed a fuel valve, shortened the back "safety" flap, and cut out the toe guard. The self propel is now as smooth as a good clutch in a car and, when I mulch and bag leaves in the fall which is a major job the mower does a great job. I have to give Lawn Boy credit for going out with a fine machine for their last effort instead of just withering away.

• lawnmowerdan
    18 years ago

i think that $ for $ the 10323 is the best lawnboy for the money ever offered. its a very strong preformer. i bought mine at the local flea market for 65$ but it surged like crazy. a new carb and its as good as new . i also installed metal front wheels and fuel filter and shut off valve and a gator blade. i havnt seen a lawn it couldnt handle with ease on my comm. lawn service route

• tarheelman
    18 years ago

MoTim--

Try removing the mulch fan on your 10201. IMO, in the areas where the grass is thin, it tends to blow the grass blades down and they end up not getting cut. Moreover, after mulching with a 10272 (which didn't come from the factory equipped with the mulch fan) and my 10424 (which came equipped with the mulch fan), I couldn't tell any difference in the mulching performance between the two mowers. Consequently, I removed the mulch fan from my 10424 before using this mower to shred leaves last fall and I haven't put the fan back on since then. The 10424 does a better job cutting the yard's thin areas without the mulch fan.

Hope this helps.

• 1saxman
    18 years ago

MoTim; Try a new blade on your 10201. Sounds like the flipped-up 'wings' on the back are worn down from use. These are the first signs of serious wear on a Lawn-Boy 'Tri-Cut' blade. Without the wings, the mower won't pull the grass up to cut it. I've never noticed a preponderance of uncut grass with any of my Lawn-Boy mowers.

• MoTim
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions, Saxman1 and Tarheelman. A new blade is easy enough - I'll pick one up later this week. I'll also give it a try without the fan.

I did check the speed with the tach.; it's running right in the recommended range so I didn't fiddle with it.

• tooltime79
    18 years ago

Damn, you guys are starting to convert me-and after 2cycles are outlawed!

The story of my life-always too late.

• blaise70
    18 years ago

Tooltime, get yourself a cheap, used (or free) 2-cycle mower to tinker with - guarantee you'll be hooked.

• jimbosc
    18 years ago

A guy in my neighboorhood is selling a 10550 - has a sign on it for $200. Looks to be in decent shape. I am not going to buy it, so I have not stopped to see how it runs (assumming pretty good based on price).

Not cheap but cheaper than brand new.

Jim

• fordtech
    18 years ago

Thats damned cheap as far as Im concerned. 500.00 mower for 200.00 used. Wish I were in your neighborhood.

• tooltime79
    18 years ago

Ok, it's official. I called my dad to find out exactly what happened to his '93 model LB SP 2 cycle. It's sitting in my brother's shed. I might have to go and claim it and see if I can get it running properly.

• 1saxman
    18 years ago

Tarheelman; That's a good tip about removing the mulch fan - I think I'll try it. If it works just as well, it'll require a little less power from the engine.

• blaise70
    18 years ago

Tooltime, let us know what model it is. If you're really lucky, maybe it's a Gold Series with an 'F' engine. But even if it's only a Silver Series with a 'V', you should have fun with it.

• tom_p_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

$200 is could be great price...what year mower is it? They retailed for $520 new. It could be a late model (03/04) which would be a steal if hardly used. I would check it out a bit more.

• tarheelman
    18 years ago

Saxman--

Glad you found the tip useful. Now you can use the mulch fan for its real purpose...hang it up in your garage where it makes a terrific conversation piece. ("What the devil is THAT for?" becomes a common question from neighbors.)

• douglas1953
    18 years ago

Saxman1, get a gator blade in place of the OEM blade. In my case I think the gator blade has a better cut and does a good job of mulching grass and leaves.

Doug

• lawnmowerdan
    18 years ago

i agree - i have gators on all my boys and even one on the lawngirl(techumche)

• athmg74
    17 years ago

How do you put a Gator Blade on a Lawnboy 10424 and where do you get the blade?

Thanks!

athmg74

• jsouth3
    17 years ago

Found a 10323 in the paper last week for $100.00.called the customer ask him if he would sell it for any less,he said that he would take 75.00 for it because it surge really bad.I told him that I had to go out of town for the week end, if he would hold it for me because I would buy it anyway.When I got back in town I called him to make arrangements to pick it up,we got to talking and I said I worked on lawnmowers as a hobby,he asked me if I could repair his pressure washer,it only had about 5 hrs on it he said that gas was pouring out of the carb,said probley a stuck float.He said if I could repair it he would sell the mower to me for 60.00.He said he would deliver them today.The mower is only 3 yrs old.

Jerry

• ronaldthompson2
    17 years ago

Hello all! Like tooltime, I am a late-comer to the 2-cycle fanclub, but I'm a true convert, now! I bought my first LB about 3 years ago (a used 4505 ... "Scamp"). I know that this is not a typical LB design as far as the deck goes, but it was enough for me to attain the fever. I am now a firm believer in the LB legacy of simplicity in design. I have two other mowers (a 6.5hp Intek, and an 8hp B&S) that have Gator blades on them, and neither can match the performance, nor the qualty of cut. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, and you can bet I will be ridding myself of the two 4-cycles and adding to my LB cllection!

• Mike72
    17 years ago

Welcome ronaldthompson,it's always nice to hear of someone new who can recognize an excellent mower.

• kohler10
    17 years ago

Ihave a old lb . I was told the cone under the flywheel was bad,so it doesnt run very good or long. Was thinking of putting a 4hp briggs on it an scrapping the old lb engine. What to you think? Its a model 5907975,serial 7020.Oh an i was told that the cones arent sold any where for it.

• indy452
    17 years ago

k10, I'm not sure what you mean by "cones". Do you mean the flywheel key? Maybe a governor issue? Or coil? Points?

Also are you sure you have the model and serial correct?
    I see no matches for the model# you give.
    Now there is a 7020 with a D-400 engine. Is that more like it?
    Is it shaped like a brick?

I f that engine turns over and is in decent shape its repairable. I'd leave the briggs out of it.
    Neal

• kohler10
    17 years ago

Its shaped like a brick. I was told right under the flywheel there was a cone of some kind an it was wore out.I wanted to keep it original ,but i have no clue as to what he told me about a cone. I couldnt find that piece in any repair manual.That engine runs an revs up,idles an reves up an down with out touching anything.Then it dies an wont start for awhile.

• 1saxman
    17 years ago

Needs maintenance; Exhaust ports, carburetor and crank seals.

• walt2002
    17 years ago

If you go to the LB Site and enter your model number, you can get an exploded view of your engine. There is a part called a collar which is a part of the governor ass'y which MAY be what you are being told is bad and it does affect the governor operation but I think Saxman has the right idea, sounds like fuel starvation to me.

"I'd leave the briggs out of it."

I agree, what a horrible thought.

Walt Conner

• rollerzeke
    16 years ago

Hello all.

Hi Tom P PA.

Are you still using this Lawnboy model 10323 for the bi-annual mowing of the "cliff" in your rear yard?

I will fire up my Lawnboy 10323 this weekend and get some mowing done.

Good day.

• equinox_grow
    16 years ago

I have 2 Lawnboy 8480's that I used to use on the hill at the old house. Worked far better than any other ones available. That hill REQUIRED a 2-cycle engine. A regular one would suck oil after 1-2 mowing seasons. The older 8480 was bought in 1986 and the newer one in 1989 and they are still running strong.

• tooltime79
    16 years ago

I got that same exact mower except with the Tecumseh engine. The 2 cycle would be nice for keeping the skeeters away! Other than that mine would do just as well.

• rclawnboy
    16 years ago

hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm glad I found this place. I have a model 10324 l.b. that I bought in 1998. It has been an okay mower. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right directions as far as finding parts and ways to fix this mower. Thanks. By the way, I wish my lawnboy was able to cut half as good as yours is in those pictures.

• weed_cutter
    16 years ago

RC - Support your local mower shop if you can. Otherwise RCPW dot com, SEPW dot com, Outdoor distributors dot com and ebay. Start a new thread with whatever particular problems you are having. Welcome!

• tom_p_pa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Are you still using this Lawnboy model 10323 for the bi-annual mowing of the "cliff" in your rear yard?"

NO...I had issues with my carbs on both the 10550 and the 22261...have not had time to dissect. So I used the carb off the 10323 to dump onto the 10550 in August. The 10323 remains dissembled for the moment.

• spitfire_230_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

There's a nice 10323 on Ebay now for $125..I'm watching it. Looks like a good deal.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120182493724&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay listing for Lawn Boy 10323