SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirty_seven

Honda HRR2163VXA Blad Clutch Trouble

16 years ago

I have the Honda HRR2163VXA, which I feel has been a pretty good mower for the two seasons I've owned it. However, lately the blade mechanism doesn't seem to want to stay engaged when the lever is actuated. I've made it a point to make sure I'm holding the release lever down securely. I have also attempted to 'adjust' the cable as far as I can, with no apparent benefit.

Has anybody experienced this, and can you offer any suggestions ? I have noticed that most of the time it will engage if I am pushing the lever out at the same time I'm pushing forward.

Thank you for any suggestions to help fix this.

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

Honda had a recall on the early VXA models. The symptions you are describing sounds like that is the problem. I had a VXA and Honda fixed it under the recall(Honda called it an upgrade). If I were you, I would contact Honda with my serial number and see if yours was included.

• 16 years ago

Thank you LMY,

Do you know where I can see 'upgrade' info for the mowers ? I've been to the hondapowerequipment website and looked at the recalls, but the only one mentioned there was a fuel tank issue that I've confirmed did not effect my engine. However, I want to say that I read some time ago online that Honda had released an 'upgrade' to the spring in that thumb actuated speed paddle also (to require less pressure). Do you know if that is true, or where I can verify online ? I'll definitely be calling Honda tomorrow, just hoping to have as much info onhand as possible when I do.

Thanks again.

• 16 years ago

Let us know how it turns out

• 16 years ago

Both the thumb control and blade lever have upgrades available. I doubt either are listed on the consumer web site because they don't want everyone rushing in thinking they need it when they don't. Many folks have no problems at all and since neither is a recall no notice to the consumer is required.

You've had the mower about two years according to your post, Honda is real good about recently out of warranty stuff regarding covering them. If you are out of the 2 year warranty, go ahead and take it to your local dealer and ask them to contact Honda about getting approval on having either of the upgrades covered.

• 11 years ago

How can I tell when my Honda mower was manufactured? I bought it used in good condition. The owner said it was two years old but I think he fudged a bit.
    Model Number HRR2163VXA
    Serial number MZCG7231537.
    I think I got good value for the price but I would like to know how old it is.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting