SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigyellow_gw

Craftsman LT2000 Riding lawn mower engine won't crank

bigyellow
9 years ago

Ok, so I went to start my lawnmower today and it started, but you could hear it laboring as though it was having a hard time getting fuel. It then shut off. I started it up again and this repeated again. So, off to Home Depot to get a new fuel filter. I replaced the filter and it started up no problem.

About a 15 minutes later or so, it started laboring again, but it was making odd sounds. I couldn't figure out exactly why it was laboring, so I tried to engage the blade, half expecting it to stop. Sure enough, that's exactly what it did, stop. When it did, it let out a small puff of smoke.

This time, however, when I went to start it up again, it wouldn't even crank. It's clear that the battery is fine because when I crank it the engine attempts to move. I could put a voltmeter on it, but I don't think there's any need to. Quite frankly, the engine seems a little seized up! (yikes). Now my engine oil is low, but it doesn't appear that low and certainly not low enough for the engine to seize (at least I don't think so).

The blades underneath are free from debris and spin freely. Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I try draining the oil and adding new oil? Is there a test I can do to see if it's seized? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Comments (5)