SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fwzigg

Pineapple Guavas - what to do with unripe fruit?

fwzigg
13 years ago

My parents had a Pineapple Guava tree when I was growing up and I loved eating the fruit every year, so I was excited to find out the house I moved into this year had a huge tree in the backyard! It's finally that time of year when the fruit starts falling from the tree but when I cut them open they don't appear to ripe enough to eat =(.

I remember the fruit from my parents tree to have a clear gel inside with the seeds but the ones from my tree appear to be pretty solid inside. I thought maybe it was just a slightly different variety but I found one that partially formed the gel with some seeds so there went that theory.

So now I'm sitting on about 100lbs of fruit that I have collected (from the ground) and I have no idea what to do with it since it doesn't appear to be ripe. Is it possible to ripen off the tree? I've tried stuffing some in a bag with apples but it doesn't appear to help. Is there anything I can make with them that's edible or are they pretty much just compost material?

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:125689}}

Comments (3)