SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vfroj

Honda GCV160 Valve Cover & Oil System?

vfroj
14 years ago

Thought I'd share something I discovered the other day, and also ask a few questions:

I have a Honda lawn mower with the GCV160 engine. Great engine, other than the cam/valve cover is in a vulnerable area and is pretty flimsy. While mowing the other day, my wife told me that the motor died immediately after bumping into a porch swing. The cam cover was bent, so I was pretty sure that a valve was being held open by the dented cover, so I pulled it off to check (had to chase the cover with a screw driver to get the cover off; probably could reuse if I had to - but the screw on the valve clearance adjuster had poked a hole in the cover). Prior to removing the cover, the mower would backfire almost immediately when rope was first pulled, but not attempt to start.

After removing the valve cover, it started on the first pull-the dented cover had indeed been holding a valve open. Thought I'd share this with everyone, as I'm sure this has to happen a lot with these mowers...the cover is just too flimsy to be in such a vulnerable area.

I've ordered a replacement, but also ordered a cast aluminum version for a GSV190...hopefully, it'll fit and eliminate this issue in the future. Anyone know for sure or not if it'll fit? Only cost $9.00...

I do have a couple of questions, however: When I started the mower, it slung quite a bit of oil with the valve cover removed.

1) Is the oil forced to the rocker arm / cam area? Looked like it was coming out around a port on the block close to the cam, but couldn't be sure.

2) How does the oil that lubricates the cam area get back to the sump? Looking down the gallery for the timing belt drive back down to the crank gear for the timing belt, it looks like this entire area is separate from the main sump (sealed off from the crank area). Is it sealed, and, if so, how would the oil lubricating the top end get back to the sump?

3) Anything I need to know/do special when putting the cover back on? I was just going to use some form-a-gasket. Just want to make sure this area isn't sealed and that I don't need to put some lube oil in before sealing...

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.

VFRoj

Comments (12)