SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Trifoliate Orange (Poncirus trifoliata) -- Northernmost Specimens

denninmi
15 years ago

Hello, anyone know about the northernmost cultivation of Trifoliate Orange, a.k.a. Japanese Bitter Orange, Poncirus trifoliata. I know it grows in the eastern US as far north as PA and MD without too much trouble. I've read reports of people growing this plant in Boston, Niagra Falls, Ontario, and even here in Michigan with success -- true or false?

There is a lot of conflicting information out there about the hardiness of this plant -- some rate it hardy to about -10 F, others to -20 F.

I tried planting a couple here in SE Michigan quite a few years ago, but they died back to the ground level the first winter. Regenerated, so I tried making insulated structures for them, and voles got in there and totally destroyed them.

I would like to try again with this plant. My winter lows have increased dramatically over the past few decades due to urbanization -- used to see temps in the -20 F to -25 F range back in the 1970's, but the coldest temp I've had in my backyard over the past decade, to my knowledge (and I watch this pretty closely) was -11 F.

Thoughts, anyone? Any sources for plants with northern provenance and proven track record in colder locations?

Dennis

SE Michigan

Comments (8)