SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

A Recycled Snowflake

kirkus
16 years ago

You might have seen this idea in craft books. I started making these with my students last week (with the help of parent helpers one-on-one in the hall). I've made them for a number of years. They're made with 18 recycled, plastic, pop can holders. (I had the son of a local pop distributor in my class. His Dad offered to supply me with new ones, and I turned him down. I have a friend who works in a large office building. When they stock the pop machines, they save the plastic holders for me...truly recycled!)

The snowflakes look stunning, hanging in the classroom. I keep them up through January. Anyways, I have always said I should figure out a way to use them at home. We've decided to have a family art night and make a bunch of the swowflakes and hang them along our covered, country porch in front of the white lights we hang up. I think it will look pretty out here in the woods.

I painted the snowflakes one year but it took A LOT of paint and kept flaking off. I think the white lights will make them sparkle. Just wanted to share my simple but elegant (AND RECYCLED!) project! Kirk (I'll post directions in the near future.)

I took this picture in the house of a snowflake I made tonight.

{{gwi:196658}}

Comments (15)