SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billsgarden13

What to do with my Heritage Raspberry??

billsgarden13
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in a bit of a puzzle here. I received a young Heritage raspberry (only 2 canes) in early September from a friend. I live in an apartment, so I don't have a place to put it in the ground somewhere.

Since then I have been trying to figure out the best care for it because according to my findings on the internet, it is possible to care for them indoors. Right now it is potted in a 6" pot and just within the last couple of days, I noticed that it is starting to put out some new suckers from the bottom.

As far as I know, this plant as not fruited yet. My friend said the vendor stated that they would bloom this year or next season.

My growing conditions:
- My apartment is anywhere from 65-75�F
- I have a Western window that gets a few hours of sunlight, but I have a supplemental light to make sure that it gets 16 hours of light. (Bulb is 6500K color temp and puts out about 2800fc)
- I have kept it pretty regularly watered so soil is moist but not soggy

I would love to keep this going because I love the concept of growing my own raspberries!

But don't they need some chill time? Apparently the vendor said to just pack the main stem in ice for a few days and that should be sufficient. Is that okay? When should I pack in ice if I am getting new canes now?

Please help!

Comments (10)