SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

If you have a peach tree please read

milehighgirl
9 years ago

I realized I had a peach tree borer in one of my trees a month or so ago because I saw sap at ground level on the trunk. Today I was digging rocks out of my soil and I dug near the trunk of another peach and was quite surprised to find sap.

Long-story-short, I found peach tree borers on all the trees I have "uncovered" so far. I was under the impression that I would know I had them if I could see sap, but that is not true. I was also under the impression that they were a problem in the spring, but that is not true either. I killed about a dozen larvae from 3 trees today.

If you have a peach tree please dig around the trunk until you hit the major roots. Don't be deceived if you just brush away the dirt and don't see anything; the sap and dirt get sort of petrified and can look like part of the trunk when it is not.

Some people suggest using a wire to probe the holes to squish the larvae in the tunnels, but I have had better luck with thick tennis racket string. These buggers can hide really well and I found I had to probe every part of the trunk below the soil line with the racket string; kind of like an archaeological dig.

After I was satisfied that I got them all I put the old-fashioned moth balls around the trunk, then piled rocks around the trunk, then put thick plastic like a tee-pee over this. My hope is to make a fumigation chamber for any larvae I may have missed. Also, it will be easy to remove this next year when I check up on them. I know most everybody has a different opinion on how to deal with them, but this is the way I decided to deal with them.

I do have a few questions for the more experienced peach tree growers: 1) I found small larvae, about a cm long, near the larger larvae. Are these freshly hatched peach tree borers or simply opportunistic larvae of some sort? 2) Should I be worried that there are more eggs in the soil around the tree trunks or embedded in the sap I removed?

Comments (22)