SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dennis1983

I have now 4 peach trees

dennis1983
9 years ago

Hi

I got 4 peach tree varieties Glo haven, Red Haven, Baby gold 6 and Royal Pride. If someone remember me i still try to grow peaches. My White Lady peach which i had and asked here why it didn't do anything i founded on internet it had bacterial canker because i saw red dot on it and saw same kind of dot on image of peaches and also description matched quite well to that tree. I can't be sure but i think it was it, because tree was dead. I don't have that tree any more.

I think i don't know much about growing peaches. Those peach trees which i got are bare root. I have never grow bare root fruit trees before. I got them without leaves. No leaves at all any of them. I searched internet about peaches and found that bare root should be planted without leaves. I am little worried about my peach trees are they alive? Can someone give me some hope that my peach trees are O.K.? I have my peach trees in box which i got them, not in light. I have read my peach book peach. World Cultivars to Marketing 4th edition said peaches should be in water 12-24 hours before planting. I put them in water for 24 hours but nothing happened, i think they didn't took much water. I have read here that peaches don't like water so i took them out of water (waterlogging).

I have tried to read my book about peach planting. First i didn't understand much about it, it had words i didn't understood much. I read second time and understood quite well (not all, but most of it) after thinking little bit of it. I also looked this site about peach planting : http://www.acnursery.com/acn_planting.php . They say peaches should pruned to 30 inches, which is about 75 cm. It looks like my peach trees has already in nursery pruned cut those branches, as they are small. They are some of my peach trees (i don't remember now which one of my peach trees.) like after image in that site. I meant that part where leaves was growing was cut back to trunk, so it is only small in size in now.

BTW i think i might know why my peach trees which i had have died. I found this internet site :

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/peach/faq/what_problems_can_result_if_a_peach_tree_is_planted_too_deep.html .

That site says planting too deep can kill tree. I think my peaches have not died in winter, i never think that was reason for dying. First image is somewhat like my tree. I have read graft union to be 2 inches above soil, that is 5 cm above soil. I think i planted my previous peaches deeper, i think some 75 cm deep. I guess that killed them. We don't have much growing information about peaches here which say about planting depth, so how i know.

My peach trees are in garden now and Glo haven graft union is 10 cm above soil, Red Haven is 9 cm above soil, Babygold 6 5 cm above soil, Royal Pride is 18 cm above soil. I measured it from where the trunk is different from bottom and up from there. I think that is where the variety was grafted. Royal pride graft height was higher than other peach trees, i think i planted it about same depth. How important that tree height is? My Glo Haven and Red Heaven trees are over that height, they are 100 cm. I hesitate to cut them, as i don't know if they are alive.

Does someone know how bare root peach trees or when they break they dormancy? I found on internet that they need light to break dormancy. My peach trees are now in garden, do they now break dormancy? How long it takes? Any information about this?

Comments (7)