SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brad_gw

Lawnboy Carb Problems...???

brad
16 years ago

Have an L21ZPNB Lawnboy with the Walbro carb. When I got the mower it had been run with ports blocked and that led to scorched piston, seal out, etc. I changed piston, rings, seals, etc. Very careful to put everthing back together right with plenty of oil on bearings during assembly, etc. Wanted to do it right. I had some running problems so have taken carb off and cleaned it several times real good. I seem to have all orifices cleaned and open. Dried off with compressed air. Has a small seal in the inlet line that I changed. The float seems to work and stop gas flow properly.

Now the problem:

Seems that I cannot get the carb adjusted. Just too much gas seems to be going into the engine. Lots of white smoke when the engine is running. Thought maybe the oil used during assembly was just burning off but have run the engine for about 15 mins so far trying to get things adjusted, but to no avail.Can't cut the gas back to the point that I can get the throttle to have any effect on RPM's. When I get the governor vane to let the engine speed up to what might be proper high speed, the throttle won't slow engine down. Carb adjustment has no effect, either. I have not actually rebuilt the carb. This is the carb that does not have the primer port. Does it sound like I need the carb rebuilt to change parts that cannot be inspected during normal cleaning? Could the main jet need replaced? Maybe the gasket between the carb and manifold? Maybe the problem is too much air as well as too much gas? Just grasping here. Kind of frustrated, and don't want to let it beat me into taking it to a shop to let someone else fix it. I will say that when I turn the fuel shut-off to the off position, engine runs for 30 seconds or so, then revs up like it should sound, then dies. One thing I didn't do is take a torch and heat up the muffler, tho as much exhaust that seems to be coming out that doesn't seem like it could be a problem.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Am going to post this on a couple forums, looking for all helpful hints!

Thanks,

Brad

Comments (3)