SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

Toro 20073 transmission problems

richard904
14 years ago

I have a Toro 20073 rear wheel drive mower with the Tecumseh engine that I bought from Home Depot in 2007. It works fine except the transmission is not as robust as I expected. After about one year the transmission failed and would not drive the rear wheels. This was covered by the two year warranty and repaired by an authorized dealer. Now, we are getting a transmission grinding again, and the left wheel will not spin under load, so all the driving and slipping is done by the right wheel under load. On a smooth driveway going uphill there is no problem except a little grinding at first. I use the Toro for edging the lawn at the boundary with the woods and in all areas that a good garden tractor cannot handle. So it is used on some steep, complex slopes. One problem could be the transmission cannot handle terrain like this. Toro customer service said the mower is really meant for level surfaces implying that even in home use, like once a week, it is not engineered for complex slopes. Is this really so? If so, it would imply that I would need once a year repairs, or I would have to go to more commercial grade mowers. What is your experience and suggestions?

Comments (17)