SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daddysam

Fixing a 1994 MTD Self Propelled Walk Behind Mower

14 years ago

My trusty MTD mower stopped self propelling itself. I pulled the blade and noticed that the upper half of the drive pulley, which I think is called the spindle pulley, was broken. I ordered a new one but now it looks like there should be a crankshaft spacer and maybe some "bell washers" on the shaft along with the drive pulley halves. I have a couple of questions. First, the lever that changes the speed of the mower activates a lever around the crankshaft which rotates up or down. The lever has some right angle bends. The pulley assembly has some "hooks" under it and it looks like the hooks should go onto the "bends" of the lever. If this is the case, how do I get the pulley onto the lever and the shaft?

Also, when I took the pulley off, I'm quite sure that there were no bell washers or crankshaft spacer (which the schematics show) were on the assembly. Is it possible that they just disintegrated? When I assemble the pulley and bolt on the blade, there is about an eighth of an inch of shaft that is visible. It's obvious that something should be taking up some space on the crankshaft. Is this where the bell washers and the "splined crankshaft spacer" go?

Any help is appreciated.

Comment (1)