SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
continuallylearning

Repair Handed Down Toro or Purchase New?

My fiance and I have been given a Toro 20463 Super Recycler from her grandparents for our first home. It's probably about 10 years old; hasn't been used for the last 5. From the research I've done, the mower seems a great model and Super Recyclers are still highly recommended (which makes sense since her gpa always bought high quality and maintained eqpt well). It looked as though the gas was drained properly before storage, so I partially filled the tank just to see if it would start. It didn't; worse, all the gas I put in leaked out of the hole in the primer bulb on the front of the engine.

Without formal diagnostics, I'm thinking it could just be the primer bulb, which from what I've found online seems either easy to replace myself or relatively inexpensive to pay the shop to do when I get the tune up that I expected to need anywyas. However I'm now questioning if I should repair it or put the money towards new eqpt. I'm getting tune up estimates alone for $75-$130, so if a total repair bill is $150+, I'm thinking it might be be more cost effective to just spend $300 or so to purchase new, even if that doesn't buy me the same quality mower as a new Super Recycler. Or should I attempt the tune up and primer bulb replacement myself? I've not done it before but am fairly handy and a quick learner, and again, from what I've read it all seems pretty straightforward.

More importantly though, could the leak be indicative of a larger, more costly problem? Would you spend the time &/or money to repair the mower, or just put it towards a new one? Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!

Comments (8)