SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Toro, Toro where for art though Toro

andrelaplume2
12 years ago

What the heck is going on with Toro. I was disapointed a few years back to find out they do not make riding mowers anymore...rather they slap their name on an MTD or Craftsman or something. The local dealer even said I'd be better off with a less expensive Cratsman. I decided to sink some $ into my 32XL instead .

Now my 12 year old (?) personal pace may be reaching its end so I went to look at the new model. I find 3 distinct models. The first is the steel deck version supposedly with crappier wheels and a less than desirable tranny and only a 2 year warranty. Next is a model with an aluminum deck, briggs engine that looks pretty much like the one I currenlty have. Finally is one with a honda engine but a completely different deck....its a remaned Lawn Boy.

The dealer leans towards the one like mine and its mid priced at $499. He says it mulches the best. Next he reccomends the Lawn Boy type with the Honda engine. That deck design he says is better for getting up next to things and is a better bagger but overpriced to me. The steel deck was reccomended if I wanted to get a new one every few years.

I am starting to wonder if a toro is even a toro anymore.

So, how is the $499 Briggs model. Is there such thing as a year end clearance where I might save a few bucks off the $499?

Also, these suckers now do not have primer bulbs. How does that work? In colder weather priming was essential. How do these type engines start when the weather gets cold?

Comments (11)