SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Show & Tell Your Fall Decorations: Here's Mine

kirkus
16 years ago

I always love to see how everyone decorates for the different seasons! Show and tell! Here's mine:

This is Bart the Bear. He sits at the top of our road in. He was a gift from a student and his family. I decorate him for every season. He's all decked out for fall. His hat was retrieved from the trash!

{{gwi:192896}}

Here's our front porch. The cornstalks were saved from our neighbor's burn pile! The deer have been nibbling on the cornstalks and scarecrows so I had to spray them with Liquid Fence, a deer repellent! I usually put out pumpkins but the deer eat them too!

{{gwi:192898}}

A garage sale wreath at our front door. A bird built a nest and had her babies in it this summer!

{{gwi:192900}}

I would love to see your decorations! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Comments (65)

• shysue
    16 years ago

No, Lousit, I didn't make the wagon. My sister-in-law did not want it any more, and everyone knows that they can give their un-wanteds to me, because I will use them, one way or another. If you do get your wagon made, please share a picture of it with us. Love your skeleton couple!

• lefd05
    16 years ago

Wonderful decorations you guys!! I love them all! I just love fall. I don't have anything out this year. We have to move soon so I'm busy boxing everything up that I don't need out.

• Related Discussions

SHOW YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE/DECOR HERE

Q

Comments (549)
    Ooh Valentine’s Day! I didn’t even think about that. Hmmm maybe I should store them somewhere else and not with the Xmas decor. Thanks Nicci! I even had a covid test yesterday even though I didn’t think I had it. But with DH and the girls going back to work and school next week we figured it’s best to know for sure. Mostly I had drainage causing me to cough all night causing time to be tired all day. But it was rainy and gross so I picked a good few days to lay around and do nothing.
    ...See More

sunstressed Hoyas... here are some of mine, show me yours!

Q

Comments (9)
    Wendy - here's Misses Odorata. She sits on the GH floor along with her constant companion Mr. Multiflora. It's the shadiest part of the GH. If I put her on a shelf, she'll cook. Even in the "shade" you can see how bronze her leaves have turned. (That huge leaf next to her is a philodendron Orange something or other that I keep chopping the top off and rerooting. It too grows like crazy. Once winter sets in Mr Phil will slow down in growth, but it sure does take up a huge amount of room!) The light during the day is fairly intense. I cropped the pics, but the multiflora actually has some leaves which bleached out due to the high light exposure. I was contemplating cutting it and repropogating the top, but decided to let it try to acclimate to the higher light levels. Same for Miss Odorata. So far they are handling it well and hopefully the light will induce blooming in the fall. Mr Multi blooms constantly. In fact, he's putting out another flush of peduncles again. Misses Odorata hasn't but I don't expect them to happen just yet. Once they attend Prom night, and she gets all prettied up, I would expect to begin seeing some peduncles as a corsage! Can't wait to see what perfume she tries on! She is a heavy drinker however, but just water fortunately. I soak the potting mix every day for both of them, and mist the leaves once in the am and once in the pm. So, as you can see, she's very happy. Thank you for the cutting.
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Sa 8/21/21

Q

Comments (32)
    Highway to Heaven, Hawaii Grandson climbed the backside, took he and buddies 5 plus hours. The Stairway to Heaven.” The Haiku Stairs are 3,922 steps across the Ko'olau range that leads to easily the best views on Oahu;.
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Fr 9/24/21

Q

Comments (20)
    Fall rain and fog yesterday while crossing the Mackinac Bridge from the U.P. down to the Lower Peninsula. But, we made it!
    ...See More
  • joega
    16 years ago

Love all the fall decor...my favorite time of the year...hopefully it will cool down here soon so I can get my yard decorated..

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Shysue, I LOVE your things. All of them are so wonderful.
    Lucky you to have that great wagon, and the bench and rocker too. The little girl scarecrow is darling. I have to save this post and keep looking at all the wonderful decor and ideas.

hugs, Karen

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Oh I am so jealous of all your gorgeous decorations!
    It is hard to decorate for fall when the temperatire is 90 and the palms are swaying and the orchids are blooming.I am going to have to do something though!

• robolady
    16 years ago

It's 90 degrees for me too, but I did manage this little display

{{gwi:192941}}
    {{gwi:192943}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My online Journal

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Oh, I feel like I'm in "heaven!" You know that ol' classic baseball movie where someone says, "Is this heaven?" and someone replies, "No, it's Iowa!" Well, that's how it is around Iowa right now! I've enjoyed this posting and all the follow-ups and the great ideas everyone shared. I have to chuckle about buying "cornstalks" when our acreage is surrounded on 3 sides by fields of corn. In Iowa, this time of the year, there may be more fall "raccoons" out there getting the farmer's corn!

Also, would someone please share how you post pics on the "follow-up" message. I haven't found the instructions on doing that...Jeanne

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

I loved looking at all of your fall decor! My favorite time of year! I do a little decorating inside and just a tiny bit outside. I usually buy a few pumpkins but this year we had 3 from a volunteer plant in the garden. My mums are scattered about in the beds as I tend to plant them as soon as I get them so they have time to get their roots down before frost so they'll be back next year.

I prefer to let Mother Nature do her own decorating!

The annuals in the baskets of my bike died when we took vacation in August, but the asters came right through the tires.

Happy Fall, y'all!
    Arlene

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden photos

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

WOW you guys!!!!!!! Love all the decorations. I gotta get going I guess!!!!! Love that skeleton couple siting on the bench what a riot!!!!!!!

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Everything looks awesome! Guess I will have to put out something--you have inspired me!

• quidam
    16 years ago

If I commented on everyone's awesome stuff, this would be a novel!

I am truly inspired. Absolutely looooovvvvvvley!!!! I can tell this is a "fall-lovers" group.

Sheri

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Wow Sue, your decorations are just beautiful! Is that all on your front porch? If so, can I come sit a spell?!?

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Goldenpond, we've got the 90s and palms swaying going on here in Phx. But with my house decorated for Fall inside this year, I'm "feeling" it now. LOL

Robo, your porch setting is so lovely.
    Luvstoclick, how wonderful you can actually have Nature do your decorating. Breathtaking photos. I'd love to have a green thumb, would also love to have some rain to make things grow here. LOL

This has been such a great post, Kirk thank you for starting it. I keep looking at all the photos over and over and enjoying them more than words can tell.
    Great job, Everyone!!!

hugs, Karen

• dustyknees
    16 years ago

cindee. or anyone. can you tell me where i can see the skeletons on the bench at? me old eyes can't find the picture.

• shysue
    16 years ago

Dustyknees, I'm not Cindee, but I'll try to help. The pic is under Lousit's post. You have to copy & paste it. I'll try to put it in this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:192877}}

• dustyknees
    16 years ago

thanky shysue. haven't seen faces like that before. almost comical.i like it.

• gram_NH
    16 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW!

First, thank you Kirk for starting this post!

Haven't been online much in a long time and just knew if I came to these forums I would get a pick-me-up!

All of your decorations are stunning!

I have been a member since 1999, and have never been able to post a pic. Now, thanks to my wonderful youngest daughter, I can!

I got this idea from Oddie over at the craft forum, and did post them there, but just had to share here, too.

Have missed you all...it is going to take me all winter to go back and see what I have missed...but it will be fun!

Thanks again for sharing.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4X4 pumpkins

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I am soooo impressed with everyone's creations! You inspire us!!!! WOW!!!! This has been a fun post to read and see everyone's creativity! Kirk

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

So creative! My decorations are boring in comparison. I better get crackin'. Thanks for sharing all!

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

Gram, those 4x4 pumpkins are so cute. I love the silly faces on them, will have to save this idea!
    I'm not into the scary faces on Halloween things for some reason, but sure like fun ones like this.

Welcome back by the way.
    hugs, Karen

• Bright199
    16 years ago

It definately has be fun to see all the creativity.... You all are soo talented!! I have company (the inlaws) right now so no crafting goin on here but I sneak a minute once in a while online to see what's up. I defineately need to make some of those 4x4 pumpkins... there are some scraps out there somewhere. Now to check my paint supply. Thanks for sharing everyone.

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Very inspiring.I love all the decorations.You guys have some great ideas! Letha

• wired
    16 years ago

WOW what a wonderful way to wake up on Saturday morning. I haven't had a chance to be on the board this week and you guys n' gals have been busy for sure!
    Like someone said, if I commented on everything, it would be a novel. Anyway, everything is just beautiful, amazing, creative, talented, awesome, just not enough words to describe.
    Going to Michaels this weekend to get some pumpkins. I'm going to try the display Purplemoon shared. Love the fireplace display and greyhound, too :)

Thanks again everyone for sharing.

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

ah now I see why there are so few posts right now...Kirk has sent all scurrying around getting and making stuff. Way to go Kirk. I have enjoyed this post a lot. All the projects are great. I have some landscape posts or timbers painted white, maybe I can just add eyes. I am for fun things and not scarey also...but my DD has this 10ft tall funny frankenstein that the neighborhood kids love. Maybe I will catch up on my rest and get busy. After all, here in sunny CA we woke up to 39 degrees at March Reserve Base area and got up to maybe 71 today. My GS went running to the door to see the snow. I said, it is not raining and it would need to be below freezing. LOL. So I went out and weeded.

• cait1
    16 years ago

What a great post!!!

I'm sooo outta sink - it being spring down here. And I haven't done much spring anything cuz nights are still hitting the low 30s!! But it's great to see all these fantastic fall decorations. Hardly anyone decorates for the seasons where I am - I don't know about other places in Oz.

You people are all so creative and inspiring!
    Cait

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Cait, you will have to start a new trend!
    Folks here in my area always decorated for Christmas, but not much for other seasons. I used to marvel at the decs in Indiana for everything else. Now tho' there is a lot more going on locally, because more things are available from Hobby Lobby, Joanns and Michaels. Even Lowes and Home Depot. We garden junk folks never needed 'bought' stuff because we made our own, but most folks don't have our imagination!
    I did go out and put a lighted pumpkin and a scarecrow up!
    Thanks for the 'push'!

• annielu
    16 years ago

{{gwi:192878}}
    {{gwi:192880}}
    {{gwi:192882}}
    {{gwi:192884}}

{{gwi:192886}}
    {{gwi:192888}}
    {{gwi:192890}}
    {{gwi:192892}}

{{gwi:192894}}

Here's mine! Doncha just love fall???

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

I keep coming back to this post and annielu wow!
    Thanks for the great idea to decorate milkcans I have several just sitting around.Got to get busy you all have me beat 10 times over!
    Do real spiders and snakes count as decorations?

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Cool pics,everyone is so imaginative:) I bought 6 pots of mums,and set them in some rusty galvanized buckets,with a little scarecrow. I bought some faux pumpkins,but within a couple days, they were covered in mildew,so I tossed them ( bleach wouldn't take it off) next time I'll spray them with clear sealer! After all that,it rained on my mums,and the flowers died,and none of them have bloomed for over 2 weeks!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Love everyone's fall decorations...wish I could get in the mood to decorate myself.

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

My outside ones are in with my inside ones. More pics are in my album.
    {{gwi:192982}}

Here is a link that might be useful: more Halloween pics

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

I forgot to say how wonderful all the other decorations are. What a great thread!!!

• Linda Kellogg
    16 years ago

Our front porch and yard.

{{gwi:192984}}

{{gwi:192985}}

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

What fabulous fall decorating! I've just gotten a ton of ideas from this thread, now to carry them out. How I would love to have a front porch or an old wooden manure spreader. Here's a little something I did in front of my garden shed.

{{gwi:192987}}

• Linda Kellogg
    16 years ago

I posted my pictures but they are too small. Can I do something now to be able to click on them to make them larger??? HELP

Thanks,
    Linda

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Linda,
    I'm trying to see if I can make them bigger for you.

{{gwi:192989}}

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Well, It didn't work. Sorry!!!

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

OK you all shamed me into doing something BIG! I have 2 and a half acres anything small is just piddly!I plan on doing more but here goes!I bought a headless mannequin Torso and a dress figure at a Thrift store that is going out of Biz. (8 and 10 dollars)Bought them clothes there for 50 cents each. Bought wig heads at a beauty store($3) and added the finishing touches.MY JUNK!
    {{gwi:192992}}
    {{gwi:192994}}
    {{gwi:192996}}
    {{gwi:192999}}
    This is the front porch.The spiky thing my grandson made last Halloween!He took toothpicks and stuffed animal eyes(ripped thanks to dog play)and stuck them into an air yam.The air yam has sat there all year and sprouted! To those of you unfamiliar with air yams or air potatoes as they are sometimes called, you are LUCKY.They are a horribly invasive vine much like Kudzu.{{gwi:193001}}

• scavage_garden
    16 years ago

do parade floats count?
    here's three shots for the float I made for our local pumpkinfest.

it's made out of 95% reused or reclaimed material! AND... it won "Best Fall Theme"

Here is a link that might be useful: scavage garden float entry

• shysue
    16 years ago

Goldenpond, I am still chuckling over your clever fall scene. Love that mustache on your farmer! You did g-o-o-d!

Scavage, that float certainly deserved to win! It's great!

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Geez...you guys are really good!! I'm jealous!

I haven't put anything out yet. Our weather is so goofy...one day it's fall...the next day it's summer...and then back to fall again. Evidently, summer will be back again tomorrow! (For joy!) My summer flowers are still too perky to replace. I'm not sure if I should be glad or sad! Actually...confused seems to describe me pretty accurately!

My son in-law suggested using Roundup on the flowers, but how do you kill perfectly pretty flowers. Guess I'll have to wait for fall...or just skip to winter! Somehow bright pink impatiens don't seem very Halloweeny! They clash with my pumpkins! lol

~Sandy~

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Sandy,
    The tree behind my scene is a weeping pink Hibiscus. To the side is a butterfly bed with lots of purple and reds and some pinks too.In Florida we even have pink poinsettias. I made sure my autumn silk flowers had a little pink and purple in them and all is well.
    Just say NO To Round-up!
    I forgot to mention I used pool noodles for my farmers legs and pipe insulation for their arms. Sure makes it easier than stuffing panty hose with straw!

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

All of these displays should be given the Blue Ribbon for Excellence in Fall Decorating. Clap, clap, clap!!!!

Sal

• dustyknees
    16 years ago

if we were voting on the best.or our favorite. why not? goldenpond gets my vote for the best yard decorations.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

thanks craftylady for your sweet vote but it was all Y'alls decorations that prompted me! It is so great to see everyones creativity and take an idea or two ideas from each of you!
    Happy Autumn wishes from Hot hazy Florida!

• dust_in_the_attic
    16 years ago

It always amazes me as to the beauty and variety of Fall displays. Just love all of your pictures and creativity.I have been using this section of fence and an old chair for different displays for all of the seasons.

{{gwi:193003}}

{{gwi:193005}}

• mssunflower
    16 years ago

Alright!!!! You guys are the best. I just discovered this site and have been glued to it for the past couple of days. What a pleasure to see all the wonderful fall decorations, not to mention an inspiration. Ya'll have a great fall and I'll keep watching all the great things you are doing.

Ms. Faith

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

BIG WELCOME Ms Faith, glad you joined us. When I discovered this place, took me awhile to go thru all the archives and I was thoroughly hooked from the beginning.
    Don't be shy, this group is great !!!

Karen

• kirkus
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! I come back to this thread SO OFTEN to get inspired! I want to comment on EVERYTHING but that would take up a whole other thread! Beautiful, inspiring creations everyone is doing! Just BEAUTIFUL! Recently, I took my family up to the orchards by us and saw all of the fall displays...and then I thought of my GardenWeb friends and their fantastic displays. Thanks for sharing your creativity, everyone! INSPIRING! Kirk

• Bright199
    16 years ago

I agree with Kirk. They are all Totally awsome displays!!! Golden I think those are the best scarecrows I've ever seen. I love the displays with picket fences. I just love them all.