SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tshrimp_gw

Self propelled mower. Which is the best system?

tshrimp
17 years ago

I purchased a Husqvarna self propelled mower at Sears the other day, and it works well, but noticed that the handle seemed much harder to pull than the floor model at the store. I didnt think much of it, but while at sears I decided to take off the cover that was over the self propelled system. To my surprise it was different then the one I had just purchased. Same mower, but different system. I was thinking about taking mine back the other type since the handle is easier to pull and I would think help in my hand not getting so tired while mowing.

Here is the difference:

1) the one I bought has a belt that goes from the motor to a wheel on the transmission. When you pull the lever the transmission tilts causing tension on the belt and therefore driving the mower forward.

2) The one I thought I was getting, and can still swap for. Belt goes from motor to a pulley and then to a wheel on the transmission. When you pull the handle the pulley moves causing the tension. The transmission stays still.

Which one is best, and also most reliable?

Also my current one seems to be a little slow (not bad at all though), and if I switch out to the other one will it affect my speed in a positive or negative way?

Thanks for the help.

Comments (7)