SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirwired

Toro SR 20042 (2001) burning oil (6HP B&S)

sirwired
15 years ago

I have a Toro SR 20042 that is burning some amount of oil when mulching thick patches of grass. (I can see faint smoke and smell the oil burning.) I've changed the oil every year, just like I should, so I'm kind of disappointed this is happening after only seven years of average use. (1/3 acre plot, of which the lawn is only a portion.) It is not burning so much that it is appreciably moving down on the dipstick yet, but you certainly can see and smell it. I know I'm in the early stages of any problem since it doesn't really bog down that much even in spots where it is probably too tall to mulch. It starts okay (1st or 2nd pull after I get everything unstuck at the beginning of the season) and doesn't turn into a smoke machine as soon as I crank.

I'm going to guess it isn't worth rebuilding the engine... If I was to replace the engine at some point when it stops working, how do I choose the proper replacement? I can't find any information on the crankshaft specs or RPM's for the engine, which makes choosing the replacement difficult. I am otherwise quite happy with the mower and don't see any need to replace the deck or tranny.

I see some awful tempting looking replacement engines online for much less than a new mower, but I have no idea if they fit.

SirWired

Comments (6)