SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Help with planning espilier or high tunnel

milehighgirl
10 years ago

I finally have my prayers answered regarding getting sturdy, affordable metal posts. I found these posts on CraigsList for $7.70 each. They originally were used for fencing back in the 80's when there was a NASCAR or some sort of race in downtown Denver.

The posts measure 13', have an OD of 2.25" and are .150" thick. I put a 7' T-post on top of the pile for perspective.

I was thinking that I should put one post on either side of my rows of trees, which are 30' long, and consist of 5 trees with a spacing of 5' between. My rows are 7' apart. I have 10 rows on the east side of my house and 2 rows each on the north and south side.

I have looked up zoning codes and we are allowed 150 days of use for a tent. Now 2 of my 3 neighbors have fences that are higher than 6', but I am still leary of someone complaining. According to Dave Wilson ( I think) I should have my trees no taller than 6', or 90% of row distance. This will leave me with room at the top, for Christmas lights or overhead misting for my paw paws, etc. I will have to put the posts a total of 3' in the ground.

My thought was to dig a hole and fill with cement leaving a post or even cardboard tube that has an ID of 2.75 in the center. This way I could install the posts but could also remove them without cutting them down or digging up the concrete.

These are quite sturdy but I want to avoid rust so I was thinking to put sand below the concrete and make sure the post-holding hole can drain so water does not collect in the hole.

I am not sure if I should orient them so the curve goes inward toward the center, or curving over the rows. My deepest desire is to make a high tunnel with either hail cloth or plastic. My goal is to protect against frost, hail , birds, squirrels, and codling moth.

I know I will not be able to afford the complete covering all at once (unless someone puts something on Craigslist for me), so my goal is to protect my stone fruits first. I have not pruned or trained any of my trees because I wasn't sure what training system I could afford. I thought I might have to buy a 10' T-post for every tree, and that was too much.

Any thoughts are welcome! Here are some pictures of my little orchard when it first went in. Right now you can't see the forest for the trees so a recent picture would not be helpful.

{{gwi:125163}}

{{gwi:125164}}

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 14:50

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting