SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appleseed70

Old Apple Tree

appleseed70
9 years ago

This is an old apple tree in a very old section of my neighborhood. The homes here are small and very old, with rock foundations and constructed of whatever was available. There was a book written by a (then) little boy who served as a drummer boy in the civil war. He and his regiment were captured at a small battle 35 miles from here and he, along with his regiment were sent to Andersonville prison. That little boy was one of the few survivors and later wrote a book. Cannot remember the title but it had "drummer boy" in it. That little boy's homeplace was one of these old tiny houses where this tree is. There are no markers or anything of that sort. I just always knew it was right around this yard.

Anyway, after having loaded the pics into the computer the photos do not do this old tree justice as to size or the old burly agedness of this tree. Again, only 1/2 of the original tree remains, the other half having been cut away. Probably broke in a storm or died. It seems to have been pruned to a "V" shape originally, something I've seen before in old photos of early orchards using standard rootstock like is done with peaches often. I would guess this tree is probably around 60 (min.)-100 years old, but I suppose could be older. I'm going to ask permission to obtain some scion wood to graft just for the fun of it. It is completely neglected but is still producing apples. Maybe the owner or neighbor will have some idea of it's age or variety.
Could anybody with experience guesstimate the age of this tree from the photos?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living