SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangm

briggs model 28E707-0121-E1 goes thunk... thunk... thunk...

13 years ago

Hi,

My Murray riding mower 42544x8B has been running a bit rough for a few years. When I shut down, as the engine RPM slows, it makes some pretty scary THUNK, THUNK noises at the very end. I have checked the the blades are not hitting anything and also check that the stack pulley has not loosened up on me (it did a few years back). Full Disclosure: Last year my fuel inlet cutoff failed and allowed fuel to enter my crankcase. I may have run the engine at least one time before noticing (yes I failed to check the oil level before starting). That issue was addressed and I installed a fuel shutoff to prevent that from reoccurring.

Any ideas on the THUNKS? As always, Thank You!

Comments (2)

• 13 years ago

Did not find that model number on my CD NOR on the B&S web site.

However, my guess is that it is the counter balance bushings. These fail with some regularity, gas in oil would certainly hasten their demise and they are not replaceable. You have to buy the entire counter balance ass'y BUT the eccentrics that they run on on the crankshaft likely contain half the wear and they are cast into the crankshaft so takes an new crankshaft. Since it is an obsolete engine, it isn't worth it, one day there will be a big bang then you will know what made the noise.

Walt Conner

• 13 years ago

Yes Sir! WAlt speaks words of wisdom! I can attest to that. I had the same problem with a much used engine, on an older lawn tractor.