SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmers_m

what to do with 'gift' of grape vines?

13 years ago

Well, I've been neglecting (probably abusing) two potted grape vines for a few months now and they haven't given up, so I suppose it's time to figure out what to do with them.

We were given these two grape vines as a 'gift' (we wanted to get you something we knew you wouldn't have!) by SO's parents. The positive outlook is that I want to eventually put some grapes in, but the negative outlook is thst I have no idea where to place them in my actual or eventual backyard.

Plus, these are wine grapes, not eating grapes, variety Frontenac, which, after a bit of research, seems to be a variety known more for surviving zone 3 (not so much a concern here) than for quality of grape, etc. Definitely not a choice I would've made. (Wine grapes, really?)

So for a number of reasons I've been a bit down on these two poor grapevines, and haven't been able to figure out a place to put them. Part of my hesitation is that I know they can be long lived, so this is a rather permanent decision. (In my grumblings, I have compared this gift to being handed a tortoise, but at least tortoises are portable!)

So any suggestions as to what I can do with these grapevines to get them through the winter, and until I can decide where to put them on a more permanent basis?

They seem sad and stunted in their pots (maybe 2-gallon) and they already had several clusters of fruit when they were gifted to us. I saw a nice big trough pot with a trellis at Gardener's Supply, but it is sadly out of my budget.

Any suggestions welcomed.

~emmers

Comments (2)