SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rweissman_gw

H-man, Ace or Others in NY/Tri-State Area

rweissman
13 years ago

I am a frequent lurker and occasional poster, so I know the two of you are very experienced and knowledgeable, and since I live right in between you (in White Plains, NY) I was hoping you could give me some advice.

I posted a couple times before about my plum tree that had severe black knot last summer (literally hundreds of knots). I had to prune it back severely last winter and I have been going back and forth all growing season about whether or not it had to come down. I sprayed for black knot in the spring and I got good results with the new growth. I inspected it over the past weekend and found only two small knots on twigs, which were easily removed. However, apparently the disease got deep into the scaffold last year, and what appeared to be a four or five inch area of gummosis just above the main trunk in the summer (I had the Cornell extension do a site visit to check it out), has now hardened into a large black knot. Because it is so low in the scaffold I would be unable to remove it without cutting the largest scaffold completely off, eliminating half the tree. So, I have finally concluded that it can't be saved and I plan to take it down in a couple of weeks.

The good news is that a few weeks ago I discovered that the neighbor behind my house has a crab apple tree (unknown cultivar) and what appears to be a Macoun (my neighbor doesn't know what variety it is, but I took a photo and compared it to photos on the internet). The two trees are both within forty feet or so of where my plum is now and within easy bee-sight. So, I can replace the plum with an apple tree and I will have two good pollinators right nearby.

I have done a lot of reading about apple varieties and done some taste tests, and I would like to go with a Honeycrisp on semi-dwarfing rootstock. So - finally getting to the point of my post - can you tell me:

1. Am I correct that the crab apple and (possible) Macoun will pollinate a Honeycrisp well in our area?

2. What disease/pest pressures should I be concerned about for a Honeycrisp in our area? From my reading here it sounds like the diseases would be primarily apple scab and CAR, and I have read that Honeycrisp is fairly resistant to scab. In terms of pests, it sounds like I need to be concerned about PC and OFM. Anything else of significance?

3. What sort of spray schedule should I be planning? My wife and I have two small kids and we will just be using the tree for our own consumption.

Based on Glenn's postings I know that I will almost certainly need Immunox for CAR. I also know that organic will be more work intensive, but probably safer for my kids, than synthetic sprays. For just one tree, what spray schedules would be appropriate for both organic and non-organic methods, and what are the costs and benefits of the two methods in terms of number of edible apples at the end of the day versus safety concerns?

4. What semi-dwarfing rootstock would you recommend for Honeycrisp, in terms of disease resistance and size control? I will have space for about a 15' canopy and I would like to keep the height at about 15' to provide a screen from my neighbor, but still make picking relatively easy. It sound like the Cornell G-series rootstocks are quite good, although new. Would you recommend one of those or something more traditional?

I know this is a lot of information to ask, but if you have the time I would really like to get your thoughts. Thanks very much.

Comments (10)