SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
racerock56

Electric vs. Gas - which mower is right for the job?

racerock56
15 years ago

Need some good advice here ...

I'm a first time homeowner, moving in mid-June. My lot is roughly .2 acres, probably about 4500-5000 sq. to mow, freshly sodded hybrid bermuda. Up until this point, I've been planning on ordering one of the corded black and decker mm875's, but now I'm having second thoughts. For about the same price, you can get a pretty decent gasoline mower that will last a LONG time. Or I could grab the $120 mower from walmart that will probably be running just as long. So I'm curious from people who've tinkered with both.

How much power does the electric really have? If I go on vacation for a week and come back to knee high grass, am I going to have to shamefully call my buddy to bring over his man-tastic gas mower to clean up my mess?

How big of a pain is the cord, really? I hear alot of mixed opinions here.

How long should it take to mow my yard? Will the gas be alot faster than the electric? (the b&d is 19")

How long should I expect each mower to last?

What is the cut quality of the electric compared to the gas?

I know that's alot of questions ... I'm just trying to gather enough input to make a decision about which to purchase. Any other good points or advice from experienced users will also be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this post will be useful to alot of other guys, also. Thanks!

Comments (7)