SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sseligson_gw

Problems with HONDA mower shoudl I replace

sseligson
14 years ago

For some reason I don't know if this posted yesterday.

. I have a top of the line Honda lawnmower which I have had for about 6 years. Has the blade brake and everything... I have not used it for the past 2-3 years because I had a lawn service. This year I decided to do it myself again. Lisa and the boys are going to sleep away camp so I will need stuff to do. Anyway early spring I brought it to be serviced since it has bot been used in a while. They did a tune up changed worn wheels, new cable etc. I think the service was about $200 maybe a little more. Anyway bought it home, mowed the lawn. It ran fine. The next week I went out to mow. Started it up. It ran for about 20 seconds and shut down. I thought there may have been a problem with the choke since they changed the cable. I made an adjustment myself. Next day I went to start it. It started right up. I mowed my front grass. When I went to the side the mower again shut down. It would not start. Brought back to the store. They said it could be some type of coil that when it heats up the engine shuts down or the more likely issue is water in the gas. A week later I picked it up. They said they cleaned the carb and adjusted the needles. They also said the carb was getting worn out. I mowed the lawn yesterday. Got through the front, then it started sounding very rough running. I put the choke on and then it was better and I finished the grass. I called them and told them the issue and they said I probably need a new carb could be about $80 for the part. I asked them if they would credit my repair for a new mower and they said they could not credit the entire amount because they did do the work but they would work out something , maybe give me $100 for a new mower.

I really like the honda but wondering if I should just replace it? or should I put more money in it and fix it?

They Sell TORO and snapper at the store. (not a big fan of snapper) A new Toro should be under $400.

What do you think?

The other option I can do is just use it on choke till it totally dies. Oh.. I also wonder if the issue is still with the cable / choke and not with the carb.

Comments (2)