SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonanza_jellybean

Chickweed embarrassment

bonanza-jellybean
11 years ago

Hi! I'm new here! I'm actually a pretty new young gardener, my husband and I just moved into our first grown-up house this fall. Everyone takes super good care of their lawn and gardens, and we want to, too. We could tell our lawn was going to need some work when we moved in last fall, but we had no idea how bad things were.

A few weeks ago, we got a real shock when we found that roughly 90% of the front "lawn" that sprouted was chickweed! It looks TERRIBLE! It's such an eyesore in the neighborhood. We got a few professional consultations, and they were all terribly expensive, so it looks like this is going to be a straight DIY job.

From talking to the experts, it sounds like there are three options (that we can tell)

1 - tear off the entire lawn, and reseed
2 - kill everything, and reseed (not preferable, we have small kids and don't want to use that much herbicide)
3 - wait till the chickweed starts dying back, rip out the remaining patches, overseed, mow high, put a pre-emergent down in the fall so the seed doesn't germinate over the winter. It's already starting to die back a lot, so this may be the easiest option, but also seems most likely to fail, LOL.

Any advice you can give me would be great. We are young-ish (early 30s) and have zero experience with lawn issues. This has me so embarrassed. I just want to put up a giant sign in my front yard that says, "LOOK AWAY!" ha ha. Thanks for any and all advice you can give me!

Comments (8)