SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianstreehouse

Starting a Small Orchard

brianstreehouse
10 years ago

I am starting a small home orchard this fall. I think that I have room for 4 apple trees and 2 plum trees in dwarf size.

I am looking for fruit that is multi-purpose: eating, baking, and keeping. I want an extended harvest, not all at once.

I live in southern Indiana in zone 6A. My soil is red clay and will be amended in a large planting hole. The site is a southern hillside along the side of my house. There will be full sun from sunrise until late afternoon.

I am not an experienced orchard-man. I do garden.

The varieties I am looking at are:

Jon-a-Red, Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, and Red Rome Beauty Apples, but maybe Cox's Orange Pippin or Dr. Matthews would trade out one of these.

Shiro and Starking Delicious are my plum choices.

I am also planning a bed of Heritage and Anna Yellow raspberries.

I got my order of nearly $350 whittled down to under $200. I was looking for some advice from you:

Have you had good luck with Stark Bros.? How about Big Horse Creek?

I cannot wade through the enormous variety. I like Granny Smith and Honey Crisp, and Jonathan because I know them, but all are easily purchased locally. Are there other varieties I should get instead that are unique, or better tasting or easier to grow, or more disease resistant? How to muddle through the thousands of descriptions? I won't know for several years if I made the right choices. I think I have chosen pollinating partners in the Granny Smith-Red Rome and the Honey Crisp-Jon-a-Red. Where would the Cox's Pippin or Dr. Matthews sub out in these pairings?

Have I chosen any duds or disease magnets?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH