SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsok_gw

Chinese Engine Toros Any Good?

itsok
13 years ago

I've been looking into mowers lately, and noticed Toro has 2 new mowers which looked intriguing (models 20323 push and 20314 variable speed). Low cost, with a "Toro" OHV engine. I called my local Ace Hardware to inquire about the engine, since I had never heard of Toro making their own engine. I suspected China made engine. The owner of the store spoke with his wholesaler and confirmed that it was indeed a rebranded made in China engine that many other manufacturers are using.

What caught my eye with this mower was that it is only 70 lbs for the self propelled model. This is light for a mower. Yes, it's only 20" too. The local Ace was selling the self propelled model for $299.

I am assuming that it is rear wheel drive since I don't see any obvious sign of front wheel drive (a bulge next to a front wheel). I don't know if it is 1 or 2 wheel rear drive.

It is obviously not a personal pace, but it says it has variable speed propulsion. How might this work? The more you squeeze the lever to the bar, the faster it goes? Interesting.

Has anyone seen or bought one of these? What are your thoughts? Who makes this engine? Why don't engines made in China have a name? Why are they just "Made in China" and that's all the info you get?

Toro is guaranteeing the mower will start in 2 or 3 pulls for 3 years or they fix it for free. That's the same as their B&S engines.

Comments (11)