SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etp1969

Mower won't start after sitting

etp1969
15 years ago

I have a Murray 13.5 hp/40". It has been sitting unused for about 2 years. When I first tried to start it, no surprise, nothing happened. I bought a new battery and nothing happened. I changed the spark plug, and nothing happened. Only because I'm hard headed, well, and because I can't afford to take it to a repair shop, I kept trying. After cleaning the air filter and pretty much everything I could see, it would start to turn over. It would crank sometimes briefly but would not stay cranked. I decided to drain the old fuel out, as it tried to turn over when I sprayed the "instant starter" while trying. I went to the store to make sure I knew how to get the hose off (I guess I should interject here that I am not a mechanic, know nothing about mowers, and this is the first time I've ever tried anything like this). By the time I came home, drained the old fuel and added new, it was back to doing nothing. Not a sound. I even pulled the fuse out and cleaned it too. Any ideas??? And if you have help for me, you need to be specific on how to do it :-) Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments (10)