SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1saxman

Honda HRR216

17 years ago

One of my son's buddies gave him a 'lightly-used' Honda mower for his new house. We were trying to diagnose it over the phone because he couldn't get it started - you know why - stored for two years without draining the gas. After draining it through the carb bowl and putting in fresh gas, still no start, but he got a strong gas smell out of the muffler. Obviously, gas is getting in, but no fire. He had to go to Sears to get tools to take the plug out. He also stated the oil was black. I'm thinking 'Lightly used?'. I got him to change the oil before trying to start it again, which he did, thinking he would change it again after one use. He got the old plug out, which was terribly fouled. This was a surprise to me, as my OPE spark plugs are generally 'for life'. My 2-cycle plugs don't even get dirty. Anyway, he put the new plug in and the thing fired on the first pull. I have him using my 'witches brew' in the gas (Sta-Bil + MMO), so it will be clean before long. The good news is that it blew no oil smoke, doesn't vibrate, doesn't leak and runs like new. Pretty good for free! I expect he will be cutting his yard this evening. I congratulated him for hanging in there and solving it himself rather than taking it to the shop. What is still undetermined is why the plug fouled in the first place. It could be running rich, but I highly suspect the previous owner ran it with the choke on, a common occurrence with the type of throttle lever where 'choke' is all the way down just past 'fast', with no clear detent between the two. I constantly am checking this myself on the LB 10550 - very easy to get the choke a little closed when trying to get full throttle. Most of the complaints of poor running on 10323s and 10550s are because of this operator error.

Comments (6)