SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

My first craft fair experience

concretenprimroses
12 years ago

It was a beautiful beautiful day which was very lucky considering that we are getting the hurricane today.

To start with the bottom line: I sold $364 worth of stuff. Including 22 plate flowers, 1 teapot totem, and 6 or 7 rebar-pole combos. One plate flower was stolen, which was very disheartening because it happened before I sold anything. My friend and I split the booth cost so we each paid $30.

I was still setting up when the fair started, so I forgot to take pictures until the afternoon when our very attractive booth was looking a little tired and a lot of product was gone so I'd taken down some of the displays. Its too bad because it was really pretty at first. People stopped and commented on how nice it looked even tho they weren't interested in our products. It wasn't hard to be distinctive, cuz most of the other booths just had tables with stuff laid on them. There was a lot of diversity among the crafts and very few repeats (except jewelry)so it was a very good fair for shopping.

Somehow we lucked out and got a perfect spot. On a corner so we had two exposed sides right next to the crosswalk to the library book sale. The pics below are less than an hour before closing unfortunately. I set up with a friend who makes gorgeous purses and pillows out of antique bark cloth.

Her things were a little bit upscale for this fair but in addition to the little purse that I bought to carry to 2 weddings next month, she sold 3 others plus 1 pillow. So she was happy to sell anything cuz it was a test. One woman who really loved her things and bought a purse, suggested a fair that she thought would work better for her which was very encouraging. Our stuff looked awesome together even tho it was so different.

I got lots of good comments. First the crafters came and I could see they were thinking "I can make that" but I got lots of praise. I didn't tell people how I made them. But if another crafter asked because they needed a glue that would last outside for their product, I offered them my card and said they could email me, but that I didn't want to discuss it in the context of selling. Very few took me up on it. Toward lunch time, I started selling. Many times a person (woman) walking by would stop and look at the little trellis with plate flowers that I had out front in pleased amazement. Thanks to the helpful comments I had a picture of them in my garden with a description right at eye level on the trellis. We were set up in such a way that it was easy to walk right in.

So here are the end of the sale pics. I so wish I'd taken some earlier. The metal milk crate that has wrapping materials in the pic, was upside down with plate flowers hanging on it at the beginning, and I had another small trellis with flowers on the table as well. Sigh.

{{gwi:177907}}

We anchored the corner with Katie's awesome big trellis covered with her bags, then my pot of flowers with 2 plate flowers at the back corner. I say back, but it is the first thing people saw who were passing by from the library.

{{gwi:177909}}

Here is my small trellis, description and sign. The small trellis was covered with plate flowers at the beginning. This is where the stolen one was. A friend suggested the name Endless Summer and the little flower logo. I made the signs with my cutting machine at work and with some silver vinyl I bought by mistake.

{{gwi:177911}}

{{gwi:177913}}

I spray painted my old metal chair turquoise (it had been white and holding a plant in the garden.) It had 6 plate flowers on it at the height of the sale. Next to it was a small trellis with plate flowers, and the milk crate had plate flowers. The concrete pieces I brought to hold the table cloth and stablize the display pieces.

{{gwi:177915}}

{{gwi:177917}}

Thanks for looking, and for all the helpful suggestions. I was totally exhausted when i got home. Lots to load and unload and carry. And all those hours standing up and pretending to be friendly, lol. (I am friendly, just in a more quiet introvert way. I really put myself out there.) Then as soon as I got home, I had to pick up in the yard for the storm. I fell asleep on the couch with my little dog. I think I'd do it again. It was fun though very tiring. Hopefully it will be easier next time. I'd like to do one that was 10 to 2 instead of 9 to 3.

I'll post what I learned later in this thread once I've thought about it some more.

Kathy

Comments (23)