SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cptk1

The All Important Question About Clover

CPTK
10 years ago

First off, let me just assure any lawn Nazis out there that the front of my lawn, which everyone will see, will be a pure grass lawn and will be fully tended to with all the cancer-causing chemicals necessary to conform with suburban America. Any mention of a clover lawn here only pertains to my fenced in backyard.

Anyway, the all important question about clover is: does clover share the nitrogen it fixes with nearby plants while it is still alive? At first it seemed like a nobrainer that it did; after all, sharing nitrogen forms the whole basis for the notion of a clover lawn. However, as I researched it a little bit, I discovered that there is actually quite a bit of disagreement on the issue. I have found more than one article stating that the fixed nitrogen only serves the clover plant (until it dies and its roots, stem, and leaves degrade into the soil).

I've found enough conflicting views on this matter that I'm no longer 100% sure I want to plant a clover lawn. What are your thoughts/expertise on this?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!