SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

Toro or Craftsman? Briggs & Stratton or Koehler?

downsouth
17 years ago

We were at Home Depot Saturday and were surprised to see they are now carrying Toro lawn mowers (tractors?).

We will be buying a new one soon and had heard Toro is one of the best. However, after reading messages posted here, it seems the ones being sold at HD are not built by Toro, but by MTD. The sales people sure don't tell you this. We asked two different sales guys who said, "yes, it's built by Toro." (we were interested in the one for $1299). Does MTD not make good mowers?

Sears also has a Craftsman that we like for the same price. We are thinking about going with the Craftsman. Is there really a big difference in a B&S engine and a Koehler engine?

We have two level acres to cut and could use a bigger tractor, but $1300 is our budget limit. We have had a smaller Craftsman, 19HP/42" cut, for the last 10 years with no problems except the carburetor had to be rebuilt once. I have never used a bagger, just need something reliable to cut my grass.

My questions are:

1. Which engine to get? B&S or Koehler?

2. Any other brands around my price range that I should look at besides the Craftsman?

3. Automatic or manual? My wife wants an automatic. We have never had an automatic. I don't have any hills to climb, just don't know how reliable the automatic ones are and if the repair bill would be more on them.

Bill

Comments (2)