SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crodon1963

Toro 20039 vs 20058

17 years ago

After mulling it over for three months and looking at all the big box stores and independent shops I've decided on a Toro.It was a toss up between Lawnboy or toro. After reading a number of posts on this website and since there are no LB dealers in my area other than HD I've decided to go with the Toro. The Toro 20039 has been discontinued and was replaced with the 20058. What are the differances if any good or bad. Any information would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• 17 years ago

The Blade Override System was added to the 20058. You don't need to restart the engine every time you release the bail. Very nice feature.

• 17 years ago

The BOS is indeed a nice feature but I prefer the OHV engine (not available on the 20058). You would have to select the 20057 for the OHV on the newer models (BOS not available). In addition, I still prefer the 20039 to the newer models. Seems Toro may have cut some corners structurally. The 20039 is discontinued by if you surf you may still find a few available.

• 17 years ago

The 20058 cuts to 4.5-inches. the 20039 only cuts to 3-inches.

But the other biggie, if you're an engine head, is that the 20039 has the Overhead Valve. the 20058 is a side-valve engine. The 20057, which doesn't have the key electric start or the blade brake, has the Overhead Valve engine.

I've found that in the hottest part of summer, a 3-inch cutting height just isn't enough. So, I'll be trading my 2.5-year-old 20039 for a 20057 later this month.

• 17 years ago

Beware the 20039. Nice mower but that B&S motor will often not start when hot. I've tried everyhting. No problem cold. Wish I had gione with the same mower but with the good old Tecumseh!!

• 17 years ago

hello Stevef25

Briggs issued a bulletin for hard starting on the OHV mower engine. The sparkplug must be gapped at .020 instead of the familiar .030. Another idea is to check the throttle plate for being stuck in the closed position. Some of these engines had fairly low compression due to incorrect valve clearance and a very active MCR.

• 17 years ago

Don't know if this will help or not. A few years ago I hurridly bought a Toro 20018 for my daughter (solely for the electric start). It is a "Personal Pace" model with a Tecumseh engine and is "gently" used. It's not the best buy we ever made. I don't care much for the personal pace feature (it works, it's just not for me) and the machine is inclined to recurring minor mechanical problems (e.g. electric start mechanism frequently spins w/o engaging -- remove cowl, clean things up -- reinstall cowl). Recently began yearly oil change, blade sharpening, lube wheel gears, clean up, etc. only to find machine locked up with rear wheels (both) refusing to turn backwards. One more time -- Mr. "Fixit" springs into action! One more observation (purely personal choice) -- I'm not really a steel deck person.

• 17 years ago

One more vent on the Toro 20018. One of the more irritating features of the machine is that the electric start motor is underpowered (regardless of battery state of charge), particularly when the Tecumseh is warmed up. From day one it started well when cold but after warming up requires frequent "reengagement" of the key to get it to turn (while sitting on concrete driveway). It's usually faster to give up and pull the cord.

• 17 years ago

Clem,

You really can't compare the 20018 with the 20039. They're much different machines. The former is the type normally found at Home Depot, the latter is the high-end mower which retailed for $699.

The deck on the 20039 wasn't steel, it was/is aluminum. Also, the side-valve engine on the 20018 isn't even close to the power you get with the overhead valve found on the 20039.

For what it's worth, I own a 20039. It's a great mower. But I need something that will cut higher than 3-inches. I'm thinking of trading mine in and getting the 20057 (which has a similar overhead valve engine with oil filter, but doesn't have the blade brake or the electric start found on the 20058.

• 17 years ago

Turf Toes,
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't really trying to compare my 20018 vs anything else as I don't know anything about any of the other models mentioned -- the number series seemed somewhat close. I actually got it at a large lawn mower equipment dealer after asking for an "affordable" electric start mower for my daughter. My neighbors electric start LB seems more rugged/reliable (watching from my side of the street) and I know he paid less, but I resisted adding another can of mixed gas/oil to my collection.

Thanks again.