SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

From the horses mouth. Spidermites like humidity!

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

Fyi, for those that say that using humidity and fresh air discourage spidermites, don't fool yourselves.....Think again...lol

That is a fallacy. Just as sure as they also thrive in tropical climates, even outdoors..

I just spoke to a master gardener who has owned his own nusery for over 30 years, and had brought up the subject of pests..

He told me not to believe everything you here. Spidermites and all other insects adapt to their surroundings, including cool damp humid enviroments..This definately validates my having a problem with these evil buggers, no matter what I do...

If you can prove otherwise, please share. Otherwise, its only pestisides that can rid these creatures..

I won't even tell you what he said to use to rid them.....

Mike..:-)

Comments (23)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

I think it's generally put that warm, dry environs during periods of low relative humidity favor the proliferation of mite populations. I just checked 3 different university level texts and they all concur. That isn't to say that you'll never have mite infestations if humidity levels are high, but their numbers won't increase as dramatically. There are other variations on the theme, like spritzing with water can reduce populations. While I doubt that 'fresh air' has anything to do with helping to keep populations down, air movement does.

BTW - A corner on the knowledge market doesn't come with the 'Master Gardener' title. They have to acquire knowledge the same way that you do, though through their connections their opportunities to learn in organized settings are multiplied. Some are very knowledgeable, but most are just average gardeners that have agreed to a certain number of hours in garden-related community service.

Al

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

"I think it's generally put that warm, dry environs during periods of low relative humidity favor the proliferation of mite populations".

I have had my room down into the low forties, with so much humidity,that water drips from my cold windows and any thing made of cloth in that room can almost be rung out like a sopping sponge, along with two fans blowing day and night, moving the air around, and I still found mites crawling in the back of some of my plants..The hydrometer has been reading over 80 for the past 2 months..

If what you say is true Al, then I am keeping the "heat" off for the winter, and the humidifyers going, God forbid I turn the heat on and see an explosion of these critters like fireworks. Not only "may" the moving air discourage them, but I find it prevents mold from forming on my walls and plants..

For the few that I did see, I can handle these, if humidity is at least helping..Whe I do spray, I better spray at least 10 feet around each plant since they are known to lay eggs in crevices on walls and wood around plants..

But humidity definatley does not rid them completely as some think.. As you said, it just discourages a higher population..
    As for misting...I refuse to believe that does anything but give them a bath.
    I have to much experience with these pests to see misting do nothing...Rinsing them off with a hose, I think that does help...

Thanks for the info....:-)

Mike..:-)!

• Related Discussions

Wanted to share spidermite control!

Q

Comments (30)
    Same here dave..... That is why I suggested "murhpies oil soap" in the first place. I am so afraid to use anything else anymore. Except a recipe or two suggested here that seems very gentle besides what I have already had sucess with.. It has to be gentle for sure. How are you by the way? Are you still having problems with mites now that the leaves are growing out fast? Do you still have a problem with them, once they are outside? Or do they jump ship? I hope the latter.:-) And thanks everyone for sharing! Mike
    ...See More

spidermite apocalypse

Q

Comments (12)
    Where in the United States are you and what has your weather been like? Spider Mites are seldom a real problem unless the weather is quite hot and dry. The single most bestest way to control Spider Mites is through environmental control, increasing the humidity and lowering the temperature around the plants. Spraying pesticides will also kill off the predators of Spider Mites therefore making the problem even worse. Here is a link that might be useful: About Spider Mites
    ...See More

SpiderMites are destorying my garden

Q

Comments (4)
    Ouch. As someone who has battled Pacific mite for years, I know exactly what you're going through. There are so few viable solutions, unfortunately... There are a few things you can try to keep the mite populations down: they really like hot, dry, dusty conditions and stressed plants, so the more you avoid those conditions the better. - If you have a lot of dust around, consider wetting things down periodically in the late morning or early afternoon to keep it from flying around and coating the leaves. That will also help to increase the humidity and cool down the leaves. - Mulch well to help retain moisture, which will reduce plant stress; it will also eliminate dust. - Keep the plants well-fed, well-watered, and vigorous. I've found that mites are much less of a problem when the plants are growing well with lots of new foliage. Lots of water and food is probably my primary defense against mites now. - My second line of defense is picking the right varieties. Certain plants tend to attract mites like magnets (marigolds come to mind). Certain varieties of tomato are more susceptible than others as well; I've given up on growing anything with wispy foliage because those get totally hammered as soon as the hot weather comes in. I miss out on some good pastes and hearts, but there it is. Potato leaf and rugose varieties have almost no trouble with mites unless the plants are really struggling. - Predatory mites are sold for greenhouses; with that sort of pest population, you might benefit from them even out in the open. Check some organic supply catalogs. - Be vigilant. All it takes is one plant getting overwhelmed by mites, then they have a foothold to take over the rest from. Yanking or severely pruning one plant is better than losing all of them, if you notice that one is faring badly. If there's a variety or species that seems to do much worse, look for a different one for next year. The mites are tough to kill, so we have to adapt and learn. I wish you the best of luck. --Alison
    ...See More

Out of the mouth of babes.....

Q

Comments (9)
    Another funny moment that sticks out in my mind occurred on a Saturday morning. I was lying on the couch and kimmy was laying on the floor and we were both watching cartoons on TV when I realized I had left my cigarettes and lighter on the dining room table.... I said, "Kimme, how about get daddy's cigarettes and lighter from the dining room table?" And Kimmie turned to me and said, "After these messages daddy"
    ...See More
  • bama_gardener
    14 years ago

Al, you are right about master gardeners. I took the course four years ago, and the main thing I have learned is how much I don't know. My reason for taking it was to keep my "aging" mind alive and active - that it did. Now I read and research as much as time allows and love my gardening more than ever. I have learned as much here on this forum from people like you and Mike (and Jodi on another forum) as I did in the class. I am a "gritty mix" convert! I appreciate you sharing all your knowledge and experience with all of us here on the forum.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    14 years ago

.... 'welcome, Mike. I hope you don't mind if I ramble on your dime ....

BG - so kind of you to say so. I applaud you for your take on gardening, as well as on being a MG and seeing the values in continuing to learn. It makes me feel pretty darn pleased that in contributing to your learning experience I might have helped in some small way to increase the satisfaction you get from your growing endeavors. That's the part that really thrills me.

When I took MG training about 10 years ago, there were women knitting & guys talking through every (13 en total) lecture. More than half of the people were actually there to learn, but some just wanted the certificate for their wall and the title, and a few prolly just needed a night out. I can say that the course was no where near as technical as I thought it would be, but I can see that it provided LOTS of solid basic information that was a great benefit to all but the fairly advanced gardeners, who didn't need to be there in the first place - but you don't know until you ARE there. I would heartily recommend it for anyone that wants to learn and especially anyone that wants to stay in close touch with the area gardening community. Don't go though, expecting that it will transform you overnight. The classes and the Core Manual provide a very good foundation on which you'll be able to build if you make the effort.

I rub elbows (literally - in auditorium seating at symposia and other learning opportunities) with hundreds of MGs on an ongoing basis. I have lots of MG friends I hang around and get into trouble with, and I regularly lecture or do demos for their clubs. As a group, they're great people to be around, and you can't help but learn by osmosis when you're gathered together. You get to hear about all the new plants that are coming out before they hit the market, and you're always connected to the plant world and latest info through friends, so take the class & join the club. ;o)

BTW - Don't let yourself be intimidated if you think you are not plant-savvy enough. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but our class was 13 lectures, one each week, then an open book test that you had a week to complete. You can't fail unless you're unable or unwilling to complete the community service requirement that comes after the classes (ours was 40 hours the first year & 20 hours in subsequent years).

Thanks, Mike.

Al

• bama_gardener
    14 years ago

Al, my MG sessions were the same as yours, once a week for 5 hours with open book test; volunteer hours the same. I stay active, enjoy the new friends I've made and find that sometimes I don't have enough time in my own garden. I'm thankful for groups like this and evenings when I can read and learn something new. And it is almost always something I can apply to my own situation.
    Mike, my apologies for hijacking your thread. I always read your posts. They are always interesting and you have some really nice plants.
    Beverly

• Mentha
    14 years ago

Any stagnant air will encourage spider mites. I learned that from MG book I borrowed from the library ;)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your always welcome Al....:-)

Mike...

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Mike, I agree wholeheartedly..ever visit a conservatory? 100% humidity, huge exhaust fans running, etc, etc..yet, if you look at plants AND soil carefully, you'll find all types of insects..flying, crawling...and YEP, even mites.

The same applies to plant merchants who carry hundreds, if not thousands of plants.

But, the average grower, works on a much smaller scale, 'no pun intended, lol' we're in control of our indoor/outdoor gardens.
    The average grower who has 1 or 50 plants should inspect his/her plants regularly..this way if insects are present, ridding these suckers is manageable.
    Adjusting humidity, turning on a fan, opening a window, 'if possible', showering, misting and yes, pesticides..preferably organic.
    So keeping plants bug-free for the average grower shouldn't be too difficult.

Mike, insects make an appearance whether in Fl, warm temps and high humidity, or cold, dry states, CT/IL. In fact, plants growing in tropical places carry more insects than we imagine or know exist..

I for one can honestly say, plants can be grown, indoors, pest-free, without the use of chemicals. :)
    Work and effort, yes, chemcials, nope.

You wrote, 'if you can prove otherwise, please share.'
    My proof is 300+ pest-free plants.. :) Toni

So, yes, I agree, know for a fact, (I talk to 3 plant dealers regularly, two speicialize in citrus,) it's almost impossible keeping their plants insect-free. Two are in Fl, one in LA.

• User
    14 years ago

I tend to suspect bad culture, improper watering.

I only once had mites (red ones which apparently came in w/ an Amaryllis bulb). Only ever had mealy bugs -- used a systemic ONCE in 2002 & they're all gone --

I've grown fairly wet & also pretty dry; I rarely get bugs.

Only ever got fungus gnats from growing Mangos from seed, so I stopped doing that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're bringing in insects from some of the nurseries where you buy from. Sonmething's not right.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great points well taken!!

In fact PG is right about this! The 3 plants I found them on were on the one I told you about toni...The cordy, a newly aquired plant!

Then, two I picked up at, ok, I hate to admit this, but Home Depot, that I didn't check before I placed it the room I just finished installing a skylight in with a waterfalls...

They did come into my house contaminated, and all my other plants, except for the couple I forgot to spray when brought in from outside last month with scale, are pest free..I keep looking and find nothing...

I can only hope that the cold temps, and the humid conditions in my plant room will negate anything from happening from these infected plants I was had in there.

I shall be vigelant, and keep a wary eye. I suppose in some way, the worst I could probably do at this point is raise the heat, and shut off the humidifyers and fan..:-)

Thanks for the help and reality check!

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Mike, the best time to purchase plants at HD is when they're newly shipped..even then it's a good idea to check.
    But inspecting doesn't necessarily mean a plant doesn't have eggs or tiny bugs. Most people cannot see a Spider Mite.
    Maybe we should start carrying a white sheet of paper around. After choosing a plant we like, tap leaves while holding the sheet of paper under the leaves??? If we see spots, pass it up. lol..

Logees isn't any better..I've talked to too many people who bought plants from Logees...plants and bugs, that is. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lol...And you are not kidding Toni!!!

Have a great weekend and take care of yourself!;-)

I guess the moral to this thread is that, all the humidity, fans, and cool temps will never completely rid or make them die, especially if we are bringing them in from somewhere else, but it certainly helps to keep their numbers down and under control as Al says...I certaily have the upper hand then with everyones help and a lack of hot dry stagnet air!

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully, many more learned from this..

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

I think your actual problem is the plant, not the environment. What you describe on your plants could in fact actually be depressed and discouraged spider mites -- on a Cordyline (or a Hedera, Codiaeum, Calathea, Adenium, Fatsia, or Schefflera).

The claim has never been that cool, moist, moving air would make them all effortlessly disappear, just that it slows them down and makes it easier for you to do something else to make them go away.

"Fireworks" is not actually a bad metaphor for what they'll do in hot, dry, stagnant conditions, especially on their preferred plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should I give the mites on those plants an antidepressant, rid the plants, or hope they'll "shrink" out of existance? lolol..Ok I had to say it...

Mr_subjective, I am so glad to see you again. Another very helpful member here!!..Hoping you are well. Thankyou for your assistance...Mike

Now I shall have to decide if I should rid these mite magnets..Hum

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

No, no, you want them depressed. Actually, you want them more depressed. Play movies for the mites like Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark, and Leaving Las Vegas. Make them mix tapes of 1950s and 1960s country & western, The Cure, nine inch nails, Joy Division, etc.

The catch, of course, is to get the mites depressed without getting the plants depressed, which I admit I have no good ideas for how to do that. Maybe focus on songs about dead and dying arthropods. I don't think there are very many of those, but there have to be some country songs involving fly-swatting.

Seriously: I've given up on some mite-prone plants (Hedera, Codiaeum, Calathea, Adenium) and not others (Fatsia, Cordyline, Schefflera), according to how severe and frequent my mite problems have historically been. My Cordylines do get mites all the time (I think they pass the same populations around among themselves), but it's never been so terrible that I thought I needed to get rid of the plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lololol....You are to funny!

Hey,

Do you know what happens when you play country western music backwards?

The wife comes home,the kids come home, the dogs comes home,and the mites come back...lol

Ok. Seriously...I really think the Cordyline is so pretty!I can't blame you for making this one a keeper... I would feel sick tossing mines out..I think I am going to spray it quite often until the mites are under control. I think it would be best to keep it out of my plant room too.

You know what I did? I have a couple of other plants that no matter how much I spray, they hide so well in the leaves, since there is so many of them, along with crevices, I would rather not take chances..I threw out my "duke jasmine"and my "maid of orleans", and removed my adenium and took it to work..A few less mite magnets just might make a difference in my prized plant room..I am going to take pics of the plants in there, and if you or anyone notices any others that could be possible magnets, please let me know...This would be of great help and appreciated.

Again, I want you to know how nice it is to see you here, and taking the time to help me..Thankyou so much..

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Mike, you got me thinking about plant bugs..today, I did a thorough inspection.
    Two Hoyas have a white substance, that may or may not be Mealy..the bug from hell!
    The only insect I can't kill, though I came up with ideas..Sprayed with my home-made insecticide, plus a little Rubbing Alcohol..we'll see what happens. One hoya came from Thailand..boohoo

Oh Mike, tossing plants!!! That had to be difficult. I have problems discarding cuttings, lol.

Does your Adenium have a bug problem? They seem so hardy. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni, I dug one out of the trash bag before the rest went into the snow storm...;-((((

No one here seems to be interested in plants as I, let alone take care of any...I would rather see them freeze to death, than give them away to anyone and see it die a slow death....

I kept the "duke jasmine". They smell soooo good when in bloom and it had such a healthy root system! I felt horrible looking at such a healthy plant, and then just to kill it. I inspected it thoroughly, and it had no mites, so it was spared...But I intend on keeping it small and spraying on a regular basis. That should keep it from being a magnet..Crazy ha, how much we love our plants?

My adenium had no mites either, but it has been known to be a mite magnet in the past, and I wanted to take no chances..That is at work now...I will take a pic soon and post how happy it is...

I examined all my plants today, and not a ONE had a bug! It must of been just those few I talked about earlier. Even my Cordy is growing beautiful leaves now, mite free. I just have to make sure I spray often for the next couple of weeks. That one to is in a seperate room..

I PRAY you do not have mealie....Toni, I know how much you hate them! You know a pest worst than that? Thrips!!!!
    Oh yes.
    I know a place where you can buy plants, and they have had thrip problems for years there. They hide when you spray, and come out when your gone..They are good hiders. You can't hit them with spray like you can the ones you see. They tell me they cut off the new growth as it emerges on most their plants..YUK..Thank God I have none of those. They make mites seem like a picnic I guess..Not only would I never buy a plant from them, but I would not even step foot in there for fear one might hitch a ride to my home...I am lucky I havn't brought one of these home from other stores, and if I did, I would hire beneficial pests to rid them..Ones that search out and destroy these thrips!

I called them yesterday to see if they had more FP, asked if they were using the spray you showed me to use since the last time I talked to the girl there and she said yes. She also said that she hasn't seen thrip damage for a while..Hummmmm

You will getting an e-mail soon. I have so much to share with you...

By the way, it only took me an hour to spray ALL my plants and the plant room today, along with cleaning the walls, shelves and floors...getting better at it...What a feeling to know all my plants are clean for the time being!

Hugs to you,

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yes....

Did I tell you that THRIPS also hide way deep in the in the base of blossoms and buds..Who the heck wants to spray any of those with oil, or can even reach them with any kind of spray, chemical or natural?

So if anyone doesn't see any pests, but finds that their emerging new growth seems to get cut off at the pass, you might have these buggers...Good luck if you do..:-)

Can you ever "completely" rid mealie. I was just told yesterday by greenhouse that once you have them on any plant, toss it..Hummm

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

You can completely rid plants of mealybugs. I've done it, a time or two. It's just that it often takes so much time, and the bugs are so likely to spread to other plants, and replacement plants are usually so cheap, that you're often money ahead to trash affected plants without even trying to get rid of the bugs.

I follow the trash-it-if-you-see-mealybugs rule at home, except in the cases of 1) very light infestations, 2) plants with few crevices where bugs could hide, 3) plants which would be hard to replace due to sentimental value, or 4) plants which would be hard to replace because they're very rare or very expensive.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like your ideas, and I think I will follow your ideas if I should ever find one of these criiters on my plants..

Gardenias, hoyas, jasmine, especially the vining ones, and MOO plants are just a couple of examples of plants that hide these critters well. In fact these are the first ones that the nursery here tosses out, or sells for 75% off to unsuspecting customers..

Shame on them...

Citrus has few crevices, have sentimental value, and very hard to replace, and expensive for me..

Knock on wood, none yet..:).

Thanks mr_subjunctive and have a very merry week!!

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Live plants are not the only things to worry about when thinking about bringing pests home. Many of us never think about this but the produce we bring home from the market are often full of pests including thrips, mealybugs and mites. I now almost always take a shower or at least change clothes when I get done with my weekly shopping. Onions and garlic are probably the worst two things with lots of hiding places under the skins. I have found mites on both and have found thrips on bananas and mealybugs on squash. Merry Christmas everyone!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that info taz...Would of never thought of that..

I also remove my clothes before walking into any of my plant rooms aftre visiting another garden center, and shower off..Extra precation nevers hurt anything..

Mike