SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melmoth

Apricot matching--pollination and rootstock queries

melmoth
14 years ago

My local nurseries only supply the Chinese Mormon apricot variety, so I bought one in a pot (6') and planted it a month or so ago. Now I'd like another variety to help in pollination. All I can learn about the Mormon is that it is on a semi-dwarfing rootstock (with the plant tag suggesting 15' spacing and presumably about that height when mature). The local agricultural extension suggests Moorpark as a pollinator. But suppliers at least somewhat close to Indiana say that they provide only dwarf and/or standard varieties but not semi-dwarf (Stark Bros in MO; Miller Nurseries in NY; Adams County Nurseries in PA), and of these, only Miller carries Moorpark at all.

Meanwhile, Willis in Georgia says all their apricots are either dwarf or semi-dwarf, with the latter planted on St Julian A rootstock. Does anyone have suggestions about how I could best match the size and blooming time of my Mormon without getting a tree from so far south as Georgia? Or is that St Julian A rootstock just fine for this region? Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!