SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

Rsapberrie HELP!

arcy_gw
15 years ago

I am transplanting. I have a bed I planted two varieties in, about five years ago. They seem to be thriving but we do not get the amount of berries we would like. When do you prune your canes? I am not much of a Fall clean up gardener. I usually remove my dead canes in the spring and prune them all to about three feet. I have canes that grow to a length of 10 feet. It was suggested this is because of when I prune. I thought the 10 ft canes were from the Fall bearing variety but now I am wondering if these are from the summer "ever bearing" variety, AFTER they bear fruit? So far most of the ones I transplanted and cut back show no signs of fruit, so maybe the tall canes are the one that would bear the following year??

I read the one post about cutting back on nitrogen, but do not add any nitrogen to my soil. I have never heard of "mowing the canes to the ground" It must be a southern gardener thing.

Comment (1)

• brer
    15 years ago

I started a raspberry patch about 4 years ago. I read all about it, and everything only confused me more. Last year I had a bumper crop. I'd cut back some and left some and din't really know what I was doing...

So, as I was talking to someone about it, he said, "Just cut them all down to the ground."

So, I took the plunge last fall, and cut them all back.

This year they are doing beautifully. I had a crop earlier of short stalks. Now I'm getting a beautiful crop from the taller stalks (about 4 feet high). I don't have ANY that are 10 feet.

But, my raspberries are red raspberries..not black raspberries.

But it sure was easier cutting them all back rather than fussing with them.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths